Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry, that's a great looking 655 you found there. It's got a new p/c, it barely looks used. What a great addition to your collection. I'll be looking forward to some pics if your going to tear into it.
kev1n

The saw did not see heavy use, it was a project saw and the previous owner had access to a new P&C set plus other bits so it was repowered.
I don`t see any need at this point to tear into it, I pulled a couple of covers to have a peek and it is spotless inside. I did mount a NOS full wrap I had and modified the clutch cover a little to allow it to be removed and remounted with the full wrap handle installed, picts to follow.
Pioneerguy600

I mounted the full wrap handle on the 655 today, the clutch cover then required a little clearance notching to allow it to be removed and reinstalled easily.

Christmas%202010%20259.jpg

Christmas%202010%20261.jpg

Christmas%202010%20262.jpg

more to come

Now thats a SAWEEEET looking 655 you got Jerry.
Very nice. Love the air filter. Wish i could find a set
up like that for mine.

Lee

Thanks Lee,.. I have seen them before but this is the first one I have ever gotten my hands on, I will still be on the lookout for more of them and hope to source out another set or two.
Pioneerguy600

Mark,..those guy`s working the floor did not just walk away, it was management that frittered that company away bit by bit. I have heard and read inside accounts of neglect and mis management and no company marches just on the shoulders of it workforce, you need generals and a good chain of command to win the war.IMO
Pioneerguy600

Yeah Jerry your right, I didn't mean any disrespect, quite the contrary.

The way I meant it was a far as I know that at the time of the take over, they were too very heavy in debt to survive much longer on there own. The Elux takeover gave them another 4 years, and like I said provided a few more years after that of these Pioneer designed saws, even if they said Poulan on them! :msp_thumbsup:

Now I still have been looking for a big P series and personally don't care if it says Pioneer or Poulan on one.

Jerry,
Awesome 655! I'd like to find an air filter set up like that for mine also. Is it possible to get some pics of the underneath of the air filter lid and how it attaches to the carb? Does it still use the original air filter as well or is it eliminated?I'm tempted to make my own.....
Brian@APSE

Now thats a SAWEEEET looking 655 you got Jerry.
Very nice. Love the air filter. Wish i could find a set
up like that for mine.

Lee

Jerry,
Awesome 655! I'd like to find an air filter set up like that for mine also. Is it possible to get some pics of the underneath of the air filter lid and how it attaches to the carb? Does it still use the original air filter as well or is it eliminated?I'm tempted to make my own.....
Brian@APSE

You can order the K&N filter assembly from Baileys.

Yeah Jerry your right, I didn't mean any disrespect, quite the contrary.

The way I meant it was a far as I know that at the time of the take over, they were too very heavy in debt to survive much longer on there own. The Elux takeover gave them another 4 years, and like I said provided a few more years after that of these Pioneer designed saws, even if they said Poulan on them! :msp_thumbsup:

Now I still have been looking for a big P series and personally don't care if it says Pioneer or Poulan on one.

Mark,..it is a very touchy subject for me but I try to keep a level head when talking about the Pioneer saws company. They were a subsiduary of a large company with deep pockets, OMC could have made them a front row company, they had the engineers and R&D were well advanced but they chose to get out of the chainsaw manufacturing game, after that decision there was no real hope for that company and the top management and engineers slipped away. It was fortunate that they struggled along as long as they did, it gave us a lot more saws to find and collect/use. I can fix that hole in your lineup if you want.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry,
Brian@APSE

Thanks, the top cover seals the original air box and the OEM filter is eliminated. I could take picts if you like.

Ed,
Thanks for the info! Is it just the air filter or a kit? I guess I could go look, too.
Jerry,
When you have a chance I would be interested in seeing that picture.
Thanks Guys!
Brian

I just got a NOS pioneer 24'' bar, .058, 3/8....does anyone know how many drive links I need in my chain?:monkey:

I just got a NOS pioneer 24'' bar, .058, 3/8....does anyone know how many drive links I need in my chain?:monkey:

Are the driver counts the same for that Pioneer as they are for a Homelite XL12 series saw? Does a 16" bar for your Pioneer take 59 DL of 3/8, a 18" take 65 DL, and a 20" take 70 DL? If so...........then you need 81 DL of 3/8" chain for a 24" bar.:cheers:

If you weren't in the Great White North (eh) , I'd let you try the 81 DL loop of 3/8" chain I have on one of my XL family Homelites...:D

Yes, you can order every piece needed for that filter assembly. I think it comes out to about $65 for everything including the filter.

Thanks very much for that info Ed, I will check that out. Unfortunately I can`t bring myself to order from Baileys due to the extra costs of shipping ,duty and the courier company`s brokerage fees in total would cost me far more than the parts.
Pioneerguy600

Are the driver counts the same for that Pioneer as they are for a Homelite XL12 series saw? Does a 16" bar for your Pioneer take 59 DL of 3/8, a 18" take 65 DL, and a 20" take 70 DL? If so...........then you need 81 DL of 3/8" chain for a 24" bar.:cheers:

If you weren't in the Great White North (eh) , I'd let you try the 81 DL loop of 3/8" chain I have on one of my XL family Homelites...:D

My Farmsaw with an Oregon 24" bar uses 81 drive links too. I think the norm for a 24" bar is 82.
Lou

Back