Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nardoo

Hey guys, can I post a pic of my PM 340 here.
I heard that Power Machinery is a forefunner of Pioneer but I could be wrong.

Al.

Real story and half with the Pioneer story.I don't have my information right at hand and some of the details escape me right now,but I.E.L. was kind of the fore runner to Pioneer, and maybe it was PM that was sort of the fore runner to I.E.L. there were engineers that went this way and that way and some evn shared ideas behind there respective companies backs.I'll have to ook it all up again.Or the Gurus could always chime in.
P.S. That's a nice looking P.M. you have there!Hmmmm I think I have one of those.There is also a P.M. thread someplace on AS as I put one of my P.M.'s up on there
Lawrence

Brendon

Hi guys, good you see you all still on here. I dug out some parts today and have decided to build a new P42 from some NOS parts. I'm looking for a piston and a crankcase gasket. I think I have everything else.

To the other guy from Calgary, I sent you a PM.

Cheers fellas.

Hey Brendon, long time no see.How are things with you?I was just putting feelers out for you a couple of posts back.How's the truck project?All finished?
Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, the truck's all done. I ran a 12.6@110mph last night. Not bad for a 5500lb truck. It's a real blast to drive.

I'm going to build a P42, I found a piston already and have all new parts otherwise. It might be a worksaw when I'm done. It's orange and not yellow so I won't love too much to use it.

Is the Poulan 655 and the Pioneer P62 the same thing?

If so, I could use an IPL.

Found one for a P61 on Chainsawr. Is that close enough?

attachment.php

Update - Free to a good home

I was shooting the breeze with a coworker today about the weekend. I mentioned I spent several hours working on an old chainsaw (Partner R11) as my wife and son were away for the weekend. He has 2 old Pioneer's that he is going to take in to me. I've gotten some free saws but never a Pioneer so I'm looking forward to it. He's in his early 60's. One of them was his fathers. I'm hoping for a cool old saw. It's funny how you try to guess what type of saw the father of a guy you barely know would have had. Well, my coworker is a big guy...maybe his old man is too...maybe he logged with an old IEL twin.... They had a farm yada yada The mind wanders. I'll post pics if it's a P60 or the like.

Hey guys,
My coworker finally brought the Pioneer to work. He apologized as the big older Pioneer he was telling me about must have got "put out on large item pickup day a few years ago". He gave me a 1980 P26 missing the air filter and top cover. Good compression. I can post some pics if anyone wants it. Free to a good home...actually I don't really care if the home is good or not.

Is the Poulan 655 and the Pioneer P62 the same thing?

If so, I could use an IPL.

Found one for a P61 on Chainsawr. Is that close enough?

I'd try to find one for your saw. There are some significant differences between the P61, P62 and the 655 including ignition, exhaust and top end parts to name a few. Also, the 655 might have some grey parts which are numbered with a suffix for the paint code. The P61 has a different ignition setup. There are some diagrams online if you search around.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I found an IPL for the P61 on Chainsawr and downloaded it.

Something more specific would be a great help.

Saw needs a recoil pulley, a decomp valve and an air filter. The part numbers would go a long way to help in the search.

Carl.

Edit. DSS on the Poulan thread found it for me. http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/82793d1227806342-pp655bp-pdf

Carl, here is the regular Poulan 655-655bp IPL. As you will notice there is a difference in some of the Poulan parts and this one lays out the P/C differance between the 655 and the BP655

Information for Pioneer Saws!

Every once and awhile I try post up that at the bottom of my posts in the sig part there is a link to Chris's media fire site that has a whole wack of IPL information and more regarding Pioneers.It was lot's of work from good members here that got it put there.
So have look you might find what you are looking for.
Lawrence

Thank you Mark and Jeff!

Got that thing from two youngsters with a tree service Friday. All they could tell me at the time was it was a big Poulan that belonged to their granpa. Except for the remains of the Poulan name on the sticker I had no idea it was a 6 cube saw.
Carl.

I was out with my dad and brother milling a bit of apple wood. It's the P62 that I built for my dad along with my Alaska mill. My brother's going to make a coffee table once it's dried and planed. It's beautiful wood. We millled it 1 1/2 inches thick. The Pioneer ran perfectly, of course.

IMAG0012.jpg

Thanks, Jerry. That saw has balls of steel and cuts through anything like butter. My dad keeps the chain razor sharp. Of course, we were using my ripping chain on this job. I wouldn't want anything less than the P62, that applewood is hard stuff.

Thanks, Jerry. That saw has balls of steel and cuts through anything like butter. My dad keeps the chain razor sharp. Of course, we were using my ripping chain on this job. I wouldn't want anything less than the P62, that applewood is hard stuff.

It sure is tough but real pretty, the bandsaw mill even cuts that wood slowly. Apple wood is very tight grained and dense.

I was out with my dad and brother milling a bit of apple wood. It's the P62 that I built for my dad along with my Alaska mill. My brother's going to make a coffee table once it's dried and planed. It's beautiful wood. We millled it 1 1/2 inches thick. The Pioneer ran perfectly, of course.

IMAG0012.jpg

Day-yum, that is cool. I need to have a talk with my farmer friend about cutting that white oak lengthwise. He can still heat the shop with the leftovers.

Back