Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question...
Do you any of you Pioneer guru's know if P42 HP is a boost port saw, or does it have the regular cylinder?

Thanks in advance,
Brian and Tina

I have two old orange P-42 saws that I got as basket cases. The paint and stickers are pretty worn, and I don't know if HP was ever part of their names. I recently noticed that they DO have boost ports in the back - ported up from the crankcase like extra transfer ports, unlike the 655BP. Both of those orange 42s run really strong, but I will probably never understand why my original green P-42 was much hotter (almost scary).

Hillwilliam

I have a couple of the pioneer partners that are indeed P42HPs, they do have two extra small tranfers opposite the exhaust port. I have apair of P45s that have that same settup.

You need to post some pics of your collection for the newer guys that may have not seen it. It is impressive!! :bowdown: :rock:

Thanks Guys...
I had sold my PP455, and found a 42 HP replacement, and I was sure hopin' for the good news! I really like the way these saws cut for a medium saw. It is a NOS saw and didn't want to have to dis-assemble it to find out.

Thanks again,
Brian and Tina

I was shooting the breeze with a coworker today about the weekend. I mentioned I spent several hours working on an old chainsaw (Partner R11) as my wife and son were away for the weekend. He has 2 old Pioneer's that he is going to take in to me. I've gotten some free saws but never a Pioneer so I'm looking forward to it. He's in his early 60's. One of them was his fathers. I'm hoping for a cool old saw. It's funny how you try to guess what type of saw the father of a guy you barely know would have had. Well, my coworker is a big guy...maybe his old man is too...maybe he logged with an old IEL twin.... They had a farm yada yada The mind wanders. I'll post pics if it's a P60 or the like.

I was shooting the breeze with a coworker today about the weekend. I mentioned I spent several hours working on an old chainsaw (Partner R11) as my wife and son were away for the weekend. He has 2 old Pioneer's that he is going to take in to me. I've gotten some free saws but never a Pioneer so I'm looking forward to it. He's in his early 60's. One of them was his fathers. I'm hoping for a cool old saw. It's funny how you try to guess what type of saw the father of a guy you barely know would have had. Well, my coworker is a big guy...maybe his old man is too...maybe he logged with an old IEL twin.... They had a farm yada yada The mind wanders. I'll post pics if it's a P60 or the like.

Post up anyway Darcy, everybody likes pics!! Welcome to the pioneer thread.:rock::rock:

New to me p28. It came out of the landfill. :)

2011-09-18_12-00-06_69.jpg

2011-09-18_12-00-19_859.jpg

2011-09-18_12-00-12_252.jpg

Where might I find a clutch?

So I have rebuilt the carb, new chain, cleaned everything thoroughly and this old P41 is almost as good as new. I have a new sprocket and clutch drum on order, but just need to figure out where I can find a new clutch for it. I am in Calgary, AB and have called the couple of local stores that have chainsaw parts. No luck so far. I have checked a few online sellers and still haven't turned up anything. Wondering if there are any other suggestions for places I might look.

So I have rebuilt the carb, new chain, cleaned everything thoroughly and this old P41 is almost as good as new. I have a new sprocket and clutch drum on order, but just need to figure out where I can find a new clutch for it. I am in Calgary, AB and have called the couple of local stores that have chainsaw parts. No luck so far. I have checked a few online sellers and still haven't turned up anything. Wondering if there are any other suggestions for places I might look.
Try asking Pioneer Guru Propliner on this thread.I have to say I haven't seen him here for awhile though.Miss that guy kicking around these parts of AS
Lawrence

Ebay has them. Poulan Pioneer chain saw 507475976 clutch 525 655 455 | eBay

So does Baileys, but more expensive. Just type in the part number in Baileys search box.

Bailey's - ASSY-CLUTCH

Clutches from a Poulan Pro 455, 525, 655 are the same.

Pioneer adventures

First, thanks to Pioneerguy and P62 for advice and encouragement back in July. As I was whining back then, I wanted to make a P-52 because the ignition had died in my old P-51. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have found AS (and wouldn't have heard of such a thing as a 655BP for that matter). One thing led to another, and I got pretty geeked up. After finishing some other projects, incl. having the engine out of and back into a car, I got started on the saw.

Where the P-52 is at now:
- I made a pop-up piston in order run w/o a jug gasket and gain a little compression. It turned out pretty enough, and it's squishing at about .020".
- Port matching and some case matching
- Cleaned up lower transfers and sharpened dividers
- Whittled off the little shoulders in the old-type upper transfers (Isn't that what they're for - to grind off?)
- Eliminated exhaust port bridge and raised the port a bit. May go another mm or so to where I had the old P-51, but I wanted to try it this way first since I can't put the metal back into the port.
- Doctored the carb - did this years ago, actually

I've run it a little, and it seems to be building compression and is beginning to run like the old P-51.

Part Two

I was initially ashamed of myself for coming down with the affliction that I believe is CAD, but now I'm really embarrassed. I saw a 655BP on flea-bay and figured I needed it. It was advertised as a strong-running saw, but it showed up very weirdly maintained. More funky little things than on any saw I've worked on, though they wouldn't cost anything to fix.

But here's the bad part: The cylinder and piston were scored beyond my ability to clean them up, and I didn't dare to just put new rings in it. I know, I should have sent the saw back.

Anyway, here is what I have planned to transform the 655 from a great lumbering beast into a real runner:
- Port matching/ case matching (very little needed)
- Modify muffler (done)
- Add a velocity stack from my good ol' days
- Other geeky little mods, including changing the carb into a toilet
- Clean up lower transfers and sharpen dividers - I don't want to do much there, because I think it has the effect of increasing crank case volume. On the other hand, it seemed to help my P-42 and the P-52.
- The upper transfers and boost port are just so dang purty that I'm reluctant to monkey with them. And it's still an unfamiliar saw to me. I haven't done much porting anyway, and what I did before now was almost thirty years ago.
- Had been thinking to run it w/o jug gasket. The original jug squishes at .024 without gasket. I'd raise the exhaust port correspondingly.

The shiny new jug and piston arrived today from Rottman's. The cylinder is slightly different in that there is no skirt. It matches the case very nicely, and the included gasket is about .011" - likely less once it's squoze down. Maybe I should just shine up the exhaust port and put it together with the gasket. Longevity is going to be a priority, since I have so much money tied up in it and parts being scarce.

I do have dimensions and port timing numbers, if it matters. Any thoughts on what I'm doing, could do, or should do on either of these old work saws would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hillwilliam

650 anyone?

Hey guys, for $20 I rescued what is supposed to be a 650 from the bone yard this week, only thing missing is the clutch guard or what ever was used to clamp the bar to the saw and adjust the chain tension. I don't really intend on keeping/fixing this one as I have plenty of other saws to mess with so...if someone is in need of a 650 for parts or for a project let me know and we can certainly work something out.

I will post up some photo's when I get a chance.

Mark

Back