Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been playing around lately on my IEL HC. Got it all cleaned up and tinkered with it a bit. Finally got it up and running. Was out back cutting on a big log I keep out there for just such occasions.
Good news first. Saw is a good runner. Other than some issues with the bar(rails are not square, heavily burred on the one side), the saw will really work good with a 16" bar buried.

attachment.php

Now the Bad News.......

Upon some investigation(thanks to the members here), The recoil cage appears to be from a HM. Notice how it fits, does not mate up well with the casting. Also has a good crack in it that although does not hinder the starting of the saw now, will pose problems I suspect, down the road. All of the pics I've seen have a fully barred cage on the HC, but this one, the bars are gone from the back like a HM.

attachment.php

The left hand handle bracket was also broken. I think there was a cast tang there where the bolt went, and it broke off. They tried to weld it first and melted a bunch of holes, so they patched it. Going to need a replacement fan housing for sure:cry:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not to mention a fuel bowl, sprocket, and misc small items. I think, this saw will have to sit as a parts saw for now

This is what goes in that hole,
IMG_1929.jpg

I can`t see your recoil all that well in your picts Drew but this is the recoil on mine, I have another one just like it but it is currently going through a paint job but the cover is also the same on it, minus paint at the moment.

IMG_1930.jpg

Here's a better pic of the back of the recoil cage. The filler bars are missing, unlike the cage on your HC. They are not broken off, they were cast this way. The only pic I've seen with a cage similiar to mine was on a HM. That led me to believe, that along with the poor fit, that someone in the past has replaced the original with the current one.
Decided to use this HC as a parts saw. Will rob the good sprocket and some minor hardware to get the RA going. Maybe I can trade some parts from it, or another HC will come up. It's a pity, that saw really ran pretty good for it's age.

Drew

attachment.php

Noticed that you have a plate attached to the bottom of your recoil. Is that a type of kick stand/stableizer? My IPL says starter plate with a star next to it. The star means it is a light weight modification...??

Last edited:
I picked up a freebie Pioneer today but am unable to identify the right model.

It says pioneer saws model "economy" but that is not on mike acres site.
Any of you guys knows which model it is ? I suspect it to be in the 50 to 60 cc range.

Beware, she's very dirty and not to be shown to sensitive pioneer fans...:):)

pioneer1.jpg

pioneer.jpg

Last edited:
Well fella's here comes the good part !!!! While looking at the tag, I discovered that this saw was manufactered in Belgium by a company named "Outboard Marine Belgium SA" :jawdrop::jawdrop:

pioneerplate.jpg

Now pioneer has got my attention... anyone know which models were made by this company ???

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Ever since I first saw a P40, I've been impressed with the design of the P series saws. I have a P39, couple of P40s and a Poulan 655BP. One day I'd like to add a 50 series saw, but have yet to come across one. These are one of the few series of saws that I rank up there with my favorite Homelites. Here's some pics of the 655.

Dan
i have one of these, but mine isnt a bp, whats the difference?

Well fella's here comes the good part !!!! While looking at the tag, I discovered that this saw was manufactered in Belgium by a company named "Outboard Marine Belgium SA" :jawdrop::jawdrop:

pioneerplate.jpg

Now pioneer has got my attention... anyone know which models were made by this company ???

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

From this side of the pond it looks like a 3270SC. it has 77cc.

Belgians saw

Hello Belgian
Good to see you back on this thread.i know when i look over some of my Pioneer literature it does mention on the bottoms of some of the pages OMC Belgium.Maybe the SC tands for SUPER CHARGED. LOL.Just kidding I have no idea.Nice addition though.
Lawrence

Here's a better pic of the back of the recoil cage. The filler bars are missing, unlike the cage on your HC. They are not broken off, they were cast this way. The only pic I've seen with a cage similiar to mine was on a HM. That led me to believe, that along with the poor fit, that someone in the past has replaced the original with the current one.
Decided to use this HC as a parts saw. Will rob the good sprocket and some minor hardware to get the RA going. Maybe I can trade some parts from it, or another HC will come up. It's a pity, that saw really ran pretty good for it's age.

Drew

attachment.php

Noticed that you have a plate attached to the bottom of your recoil. Is that a type of kick stand/stableizer? My IPL says starter plate with a star next to it. The star means it is a light weight modification...??

That recoil does look to be off a HM , it should work ok but I see its a little on the rough side. Did you ever look at the piston through the exhaust port? The piston is quite a surprise!
Pioneerguy600

I picked up a freebie Pioneer today but am unable to identify the right model.

It says pioneer saws model "economy" but that is not on mike acres site.
Any of you guys knows which model it is ? I suspect it to be in the 50 to 60 cc range.

Beware, she's very dirty and not to be shown to sensitive pioneer fans...:):)

pioneer1.jpg

pioneer.jpg

Now what did you find there Roland? Ever since you asked me a quite a while back if Pioneer ever had any dealings with Danarm I have been asking around concerning the close similarities between the two. I have been told that some of the Engineers from IEL actually worked with Danarm as well. During WW 2 there was a lot of sharing of technology between Canada and G.B. and it carried over for years after the war so it is not surprising that some ideas and designs were shared along with personnel . Outboard Marine Corporation bought out IEL in B.C. Canada and moved everything to Ontario , that`s when they went with the Pioneer name solely. By the looks of your saw you just got OMC may have set up a plant in Belgium, maybe they cast the parts there or just to assemble the parts made in Canada. Would make some interesting investigation for sure. I have seen some Pioneer chainsaws made here in Ontario expressly for the European market, they even had different paint schemes and colors from the same model sold here. Some of them were painted dark forest green, but I have not ever had one to see if they had a made in Canada tag fastened to them.
Nice find by the way and now there is more questions raised to find answers for. Maybe some of the other Pioneer fans on here will have some info on this subject.
Pioneerguy600

Now what did you find there Roland? Ever since you asked me a quite a while back if Pioneer ever had any dealings with Danarm I have been asking around concerning the close similarities between the two. I have been told that some of the Engineers from IEL actually worked with Danarm as well. During WW 2 there was a lot of sharing of technology between Canada and G.B. and it carried over for years after the war so it is not surprising that some ideas and designs were shared along with personnel . Outboard Marine Corporation bought out IEL in B.C. Canada and moved everything to Ontario , that`s when they went with the Pioneer name solely. By the looks of your saw you just got OMC may have set up a plant in Belgium, maybe they cast the parts there or just to assemble the parts made in Canada. Would make some interesting investigation for sure. I have seen some Pioneer chainsaws made here in Ontario expressly for the European market, they even had different paint schemes and colors from the same model sold here. Some of them were painted dark forest green, but I have not ever had one to see if they had a made in Canada tag fastened to them.
Nice find by the way and now there is more questions raised to find answers for. Maybe some of the other Pioneer fans on here will have some info on this subject.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, thanks for your input. I did some googling and found that OMC had indeed a manufactering plant in Bruges, Belgium (the Venice of the North...) untill 2001, when OMC filed for bankruptcy. The leftovers in Belgium were purchased by another Canadian company called Bombardier, who manufacters heavy transport equipment.

I just want to know if OMC assembled or manufactered Pioneer saws in Belgium, and if yes, I want to know all the models made...just for collection reasons, LOLOL. It appears from the tag on my newly found saw that OMC did indeed produce locally... who knows more....:popcorn::popcorn:

:cheers:

petesoldsaw

hello webberm249
Very nice Poulan Pro you have there.Do you have any other Pioneer related saws?
Lawrence

no, that is it pete, i am still a newbie, and only have 3 saws, i have a small stihl for limbing, a husky 450 for the medium stuff, and the poulan i bought from my neighbor a while ago, i had 4 big trees that needed to come down, and i figured instead of calling a tree service, i could do it myself, save money, and get a saw out of the deal, it came with the original 34' bar on it

Drew

attachment.php

That plate you mentioned is a factory made attachment that works as a footpeg to place your foot on when ground starting these saws. I take it that it was "optional" , all of the HC`s that I have seen had them already there, that part also makes them a little more stable to prevent them from tipping over although they are not prone to tip over without them.
Pioneerguy600

From this side of the pond it looks like a 3270SC. it has 77cc.

Holmen, I checked the carb today and it's a tilly HS39A that does not correspond to a 3270. I suspect it's a 2400 or 2460, but don't know for sure.

I cleaned her up a bit today. She fires well with some added fuel in the plug hole but won't stay running. The fuel lines in the tank probably need replacement.

DSC02126.jpg

Holmen, I checked the carb today and it's a tilly HS39A that does not correspond to a 3270. I suspect it's a 2400 or 2460, but don't know for sure.

I cleaned her up a bit today. She fires well with some added fuel in the plug hole but won't stay running. The fuel lines in the tank probably need replacement.

DSC02126.jpg

Looks good belgian. From my sources I can't find another photo close in description to yours. Will let you know if I find one. The exhaust outlets on your muffler looks to be the size for a 77cc engine. I have seen many different carb types on one specific saw models over the years.

Latest posts

Back