Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truck averaged 12.5 mpg but I was doing 80 at times . Sure if I swapped out the 4.11 to 3.54 or 3.73 ratio it would be better . The truck with the cap in the picture is a big block 454 he averaged 17 but he put a 6l80 in it over the winter . I may do that or get a gear vendor Over/under drive unit and AC
That is not bad. When my '81 K10 was on the road it would pull 15 out on the high way running 75mph which I was tickled to death with considering it has the aerodynamics of a cinder block. 350, 4 speed, 3.42 gears and 33in tires help a lot. 2800rpms put me almost at 80mph

Re-filled the F-150 with 439.5 miles on this tank of gas, took 19.5 gallons, so 22.5 MPG.

The meter said 23.3, so it was not too far off. I find it is always a bit overstated, but never by more than 1 MPG.

The highway mileage was a bit higher, but then I drove it locally some before filling up.

2019 F-150 extended cab with a cover over the bed, 2.7 bi-turbo with 10 speed. Very happy with this for a full size 4X4 truck!

My '69 K20 with4.56 rear was about 9.5 uphill, downhill didn't matter. Topped out a little over 90. Miss that beast. Had 3 gas tanks, held 55 gallons total. Bought it used in Wyoming, moved it to Pennsylvania and eventually sold it.
I've owned new trucks since 1972, thank God they have figured out how to build them better!!

Resized-20240628-110239.jpg

That's the other day with a medium sized load in the covered bed, AC running and a comfortable ride, for several hours, (over 800 miles) on mostly flat freeway, it still easily stays over 20 mpg in the hills and around town.

I have the best pu I've ever owned right now; I wouldn't trade it even for two new older trucks, IF I had to use and drive them!

Been there done that! lol

BTW, there's a 355 hp V8 under the hood, and it's 4wd!

SR

Re-filled the F-150 with 439.5 miles on this tank of gas, took 19.5 gallons, so 22.5 MPG.

The meter said 23.3, so it was not too far off. I find it is always a bit overstated, but never by more than 1 MPG.

The highway mileage was a bit higher, but then I drove it locally some before filling up.

2019 F-150 extended cab with a cover over the bed, 2.7 bi-turbo with 10 speed. Very happy with this for a full size 4X4 truck!

My daughter totaled my 2014 Ram in October of 2021, the height of the chip shortage. Vehicles were in high demand and good used trucks were impossible to find. I had never even a Ford guy, but I needed a vehicle, and took a flyer on a 2019 F-150 with the 2.7L and a ten speed. I was skeptical at first, but it's been rock solid so far.

How well does it tow

I've owned new trucks since 1972, thank God they have figured out how to build them better!!

Resized-20240628-110239.jpg

That's the other day with a medium sized load in the covered bed, AC running and a comfortable ride, for several hours, (over 800 miles) on mostly flat freeway, it still easily stays over 20 mpg in the hills and around town.

I have the best pu I've ever owned right now; I wouldn't trade it even for two new older trucks, IF I had to use and drive them!oo

Been there done that! lol

BTW, there's a 355 hp V8 under the hood, and it's 4wd!

SR
Dang, that's pretty good. I have to baby my truck's acceleration to get 17 mpg. Do v8 in general, get better gas mileage than v6?

Wait till college, that’s nothing been there done it couple times, but I know where you’re coming from brother,
Thankfully, thats quite a few years off...like 10-12 ish, so not so far off. 😬
Not all heros wear capes. You get a huge Atta' boy from me buddy.
I got myself a pack of double stuff oreos... 🤫

How well does it tow
Has a lower towing limit than some of the other engines, but easily handles anything I have needed to tow.

Your mileage will drop, especially if it gets hilly. But the 10 speed is nice, if you set the cruise control, it will never loose it as it will shift as many times as it takes to maintain speed. It will also sometimes downshift you on the downhills to maintain the set speed.

Plus, when driving it w/o a trailer, it is surprisingly peppy! I generally set the cruise control at 72 MPH on the highway. Cops usually won't ticket you if you are under 75.

Has a lower towing limit than some of the other engines, but easily handles anything I have needed to tow.

Your mileage will drop, especially if it gets hilly. But the 10 speed is nice, if you set the cruise control, it will never loose it as it will shift as many times as it takes to maintain speed. I will also sometimes downshift you on the downhills to maintain the set speed.

Plus, when driving it w/o a trailer, it is surprisingly peppy! I generally set the cruise control at 72 MPH on the highway. Cops usually won't ticket you if you are under 75.
if I ever hit the lotto or find one super cheap I'd replace the expedition with an eco-boost f-150 in a heart beat. Bunch of guys at work have them and everyone speaks favorably about them.

Thankfully, thats quite a few years off...like 10-12 ish, so not so far off. 😬

I got myself a pack of double stuff oreos... 🤫
Time goes by quickly bro , it’s actually kinda crazy how fast it goes by, enjoy them kids , while they’re still young,

Back