Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
93 degrees in the shop same as outside . Got the rear brakes done slowly. Lots of break time to cool off . Have a fan blowing on me but it’s like being in a convection oven. IMG_8605.jpegIMG_8606.jpeg
Now I need to replace the front brake hoses and bleed them . I did the pads about a month ago that’s when I discovered the cracks in the hoses and the rear problems

Ended up getting nothing done with the shop yesterday. Shortly after I got home I heard the chickens freaking out. Didn't think anything of it at first, we have 2 roosters and they have been pretty rpugh with the hens. Stuck my head out the side window and seen a black and white husky tearing up several of the chickens. Chased it off. Called the local cops and rounded up the rest of the chickens I could find.
Got a phone call back from one of the female officers. She was basically no help. Said there was a husky reported missing back in April in annville, but doubted it would be the same dog as we're pretty far apart. Asked her what I was supposed to do if it came back? She said It my right to dispatch an animal attacking anyone on the property or any live stock and pets. I pretty much told her the next time I see it it's dead.
Shortly after I got off the phone with her, my wife finally called me back. She had me count chickens. 7 were missing. Took me nearly till she got home to find them. 2 were dead, one was ripped up real bad. Ended up putting it out of its misery. After my wife and kids got home, we managed to get the rest of the chickens in the coop. There are 2 more that may not make it. I'll see how they are doing when I get home this afternoon. Not a great evening.

Now I remember why I wear long pants and boots when I use my saws!

Also, always remember to untuck the shirt so chips fall to the ground! Not good to fill your waist or pockets with them either!
"Not good to fill your waist or pockets with them either!" Among other things. lmao :cool: OT

I posted a more recent message with more information and photos... Elder care has consumed me... reading this forum is a respite from my new reality!
Hang in there friend. You honor your parents by helping them. Care givers need all the support that can be mustered. Please don't let it get you down. Those of us that have been in your place understand. Many of us here are too far away to help, but we are always here to listen. Sending prayers your way.

Your not alone,

Hang in there friend. You honor your parents by helping them. Care givers need all the support that can be mustered. Please don't let it get you down. Those of us that have been in your place understand. Many of us here are too far away to help, but we are always here to listen. Sending prayers your way.

I never assumed I was alone but I was surprised to find out how many elderly people lay in emergency departments, hospitals, rehab facilities and nursing homes with nobody visiting them or advocating for them... I'm sure its some combination of time, distance, resources, bad relationships, and being "the last man standing" at play. I'm not letting that happen... Commiserating with friends and family who were or are in a similar situation has proven useful from many perspectives. On that note, I need to have lunch and then get back on the phone and then head to the rehab facility... did a home visit and lawn mowing there this morning and will be back there later.

Thank you for the kind words.

Rough couple weeks here too - 94 yr old father went to hospital Fri.June 7th,bleeding internally,lost quite a bit,2 transfusions given late Fri while he was in the CCU (possibly 3 I dont remember) They cauterized a vein near the colon,got it pretty much stopped.Wanted to do colonoscopy but that was put on hold cause his existing heart issues (possible heart attack while in the ER,where he went to bathroom UNATTENDED) I was pissed! Recovering Saturday,in good spirits,talking normally with rest of family between sleeping a lot.
Sunday was the same,no further improvement,all of immediate family was present in late afternoon (except oldest grandson),even oldest niece's ex-husband showed up (Dad & rest of us always liked him,we kept in touch,he is a great guy,provider & father to the 2 teenagers,just him & my niece grew apart,couldnt stay together.They get along better now for some reason lol

Dad was his usual self - talking,telling stories (still very coherent later that day) but decided since nothing else could be done decided on Comfort Care - kinda like Hospice in a way - All his regular meds via IV would be stopped,the blood pressure machine & others would be turned off,only pain meds would be administered to him as needed.He explained all of this in his decision to proceed with Comfort Care,us 5 kids & Mom all agreed with it,told the nurse we would go along with his wishes. He passed away roughly 245AM Mon. June 10 - He basically went to sleep,wasnt in any pain & didnf suffer.

Which you cant really ask of a better way to go,IMO he went out the way he wanted - didnt suffer for weeks & months.The funeral was Tuesday June 18, with graveside service afterwards with playing of taps & a 21 gun salute (Dad was Korean War era Air Force veteran) by local veteran's group plus presentation of the folded American flag to Mom when they were done.

Being the youngest of the 5 children & living the closest to Mom & Dad,planning all the funeral arrangements,getting the financial stuff in order,plus all the phone calls to the VA & other companies was tasked to me,everything went OK without any problems,there was family meeting at funeral home before the service that went into great detail regarding all the procedures.Plus the choices regarding casket,vault,flowers,any additional items that are added to the final bill.

Mom said there's no hurry to sell the cabin & 10 acres of timber,the yearly taxes are cheap (something like $450/yr) and are wont be due again until Oct 2025 and the REC electric bill is like $35-40/month tops.Propane tank just filled in March 2024,that will last a couple years unless someone lives out there full time during the Fall/Winter months.Older siblings last week were pushing to sell the property already (they only visited it a few times in 43 yrs) but 3 of the oldest nieces/nephews were hesitant & especially me,I just about blew up,they hit a nerve with me) spent LOTS of time with Grandma & Grandpa there growing up,so lots of fond memories there - besides at the time the oldest niece & her older brother only lived 7-8 miles from the cabin until their late teen years back in early 90's,when their Dad (oldest brother) and his wife split up.

I was dreading this event,but its normal & something that all of us go through.I dont know that its any easier losing a parent when you are ''middle years'' or even retirement age,compared to it happening when you are younger.It still sucks.I miss him every day and Mom & my siblings,other family members do also.But I also know he did a good job raising his family & is looking down at all of us with pride,knowing we are doing what's needed to help Mom & each other.

I never assumed I was alone but I was surprised to find out how many elderly people lay in emergency departments, hospitals, rehab facilities and nursing homes with nobody visiting them or advocating for them... I'm sure its some combination of time, distance, resources, bad relationships, and being "the last man standing" at play. I'm not letting that happen... Commiserating with friends and family who were or are in a similar situation has proven useful from many perspectives. On that note, I need to have lunch and then get back on the phone and then head to the rehab facility... did a home visit and lawn mowing there this morning and will be back there later.

Thank you for the kind words.
Hope things get better for you .

I’m going to mom’s tomorrow. She needs to go shopping and the bank . She still drives but would rather not . She turned 90 a few months ago

Latest posts

Back