The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, all that unknown matter that belonged to some unknown person is gone. I used Dawn and steel wool. I did keep the original label on it.

No snow here today. I may take the Subaru Lowboy out to pick up the buncher today. :)

It all started along about wednesday of last week. Grab the 372 off the truck, crank it over..hmm..crunchy sounds...not good. Park it, grab the other one head off to work. Get home pull my "baby" 372 apart, crank bearings are crunching, ring stuck in the piston, slight transfer on the jug.....somebody wasnt paying attention to the mix...wasnt me. So i call the boss, explain the situation. Okay I'll call husky get one on the way. Great we'll split cost sounds like a deal to me. Mean while pick up a couple haggered 372's to keep working.

This tuesday rolls around headed back from the "big city" and i hear a crunch and whine and sounds like one rear tires locking up on the work truck..great..spider gears.
Wednesday morning, borrow dads truck, go to work, walking across the yard and the gentleman (read dip***t) that mixed the fuel that cooked my saw confronts me. Almost fist fight over a saw (dumb I know).

So today I'm rebuilding a rear diff in my work truck (luckily i drove it an hour home and it DIDNT eat the ring and pinion!). :angry2:

207483d1321483789-mact-rehab0001_3-jpg

For years my mom had one of those in the guestroom as a centerpiece type thing. It worked a little. Later on, the machine got carted off somewhere, but the base and the pedal stayed behind and got turned into a table. I used to go into the guest room just to pedal the thing until horrendous screeching started and the cat would scatter.

Haven't been home in a long while so I'll see if it's still there.

Not cold here at 47, wet, with hourly squalls fresh off the water.

That's an ocean-cold. . . Feels way colder than 47° and snowing. I've been in 35° and freezing rain, and I've been in -78° with the wind chill and dry. I'll take dry cold any day.

cold as eff here but not snowing

It looked like friggin Browning at work today, had to do the Eastside lean when walking outside

I bet Rogers sucks eggs big time today! We camped on the ice there one year in a tent. . . Probably the coldest I've ever been.

Just got back from having lunch at the harbor, had grilled Lingcod.
Watched a big squall come in, made lunch last until it went through.
Driving home was fun, the sun came out, with the low angle and wet streets,
I was nearly blind.

I feel we shall be smitten tonight. It just tried to snow quite hard, but gave up quickly. I'm thinking a repeat of last year at this time, when the Subaru was in the shop, getting a new alternator, and I had to park my little pickup at the neighbor's and hoof it the rest of the way home.

The Subaru is running this year. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud...shhhhhhh. :eek2:

You've got all the snow there and we've got none. Which is outlandish. A newspaper article wrote this is the latest winter in the recorded history up here. I wonder if the two things were somehow connected?

The hares have changed their furs and I feel almost pity for them running around the dark woods wearing the shiny white coats. They make easy targets now. Well, I never shoot hares. That's because half of my family is from Lappland. The Lapplanders think that shooting a hare is like shooting a cat: A waste of ammo.

Except in February, me and a handful of mates have a tradition to close the season hunting hares. Although we are usually wasted that weekend, no one of us could hit a barn from 30 feet.

So, considering, that makes me a real bunny hugger too, Mrs. Patty.

Was desperadely looking towards a day in the woods after almost four months jerking from one job to another and back to faculty. One day of some canopy opening and snag cutting in acceptable sized oak-pine mixed forest, making some firewood, maybe even some photo into Falling pics or Todays job thread. And a day with a good friend also.
Most part turned into liliputic matchstick scavenge. And many "firsts" came in:
I got chain thrown the first time in my life-on a 15" bar... One cutting edge had some little ding, five rakers had seriously banged up foreheads-and they weren´t them that hit the chain catcher. At least the one on this small saw is plastic covered, so not much of secondary damage. Took 1/4 hour to true two and de-ding about dozen drive links. Turned out I hit a part of bullet jacket-a good advertisement on Stihl chain. Still I have no clue how it came (no, I don´t have "show me your drive links" kind of sag on that bar).
The only "big" tree-10", 30ft tall oak snag, slight lean, just 2 ft pegs left instead of branches. Got talked into going against the lean into clear instead going with lean and hitting one branch in the way, which might produce a light hangup. I made perfectly aimed undercut, finely finished backcut, after six strokes I went off lifting capacity of stacked wedges (first time)-no more room for them (I hate 6-12" range of trees somehow...), the tree should go on a 1/2" hinge and common techniques of back cuts in different heights were off-limit due to very high strenght of the wood combined with extreme brittlenes (it was totaly diferent site than a year ago, btw). Few seconds after starting thinking about what the hell I got wedges spit out (first time), the tree sat back (first time) onto empty kerf with barely audible "crack" from the hinge. So new, a bit box cut face in the lead above the first kerf, 1" of hinge-nothing, 1/2" hinge-nothing, standing as far as possible while 1/3" hinge-nothing. Pushed it hard with a stick, some go. Inspecting what the ****, got nailed by piece of branch into hardhat-first time in my life while cutting, no matter if axe, bucksaw, frame saw, chainsaw, uprooting 6-8" snags by hand and rope instead of going to the gym. Hell!
Pushed it by two man power, lazy go and a hangup which I wanted to avoid by going against the lean initialy. Before I brought in the pulley block set, my friend rocked it to fall, having no clue about he made a serious suicidal attempt. A very sane person he is, otherwise:msp_ohmy:
Very late in the evening, when I wanted to publicly whine, the computer bliped, almost done text disapeared and clear page autosaved in less than one second.

Some strange moon configuration, or something. It´s like an office jerk´s first maiden day out of town, but for sure could be worse. I have no "ran over my saw two times", "got my thermos smashed by...", "started a fire wit a set of working plans and forestry maps for the day", "got rid of pizza by anngry fox/dog/whatever", "the tree mysteriously jumped off the stump, danced around and suddenly jerked against the lean to hit dead on the borrowed Toyota" kind of story, thankfully. But this alone is enought.

Yeah, no snow here.

Cody and the scouts and I went backpacking this past weekend under cloudy skies. Rain was predicted for Saturday night and man the weather guessers were right this time. IT POURED! The rain woke me up at 9:30pm and I was dern tired. All of our tents stayed dry and it had stopped raining when we got up so no harm done.

Back