The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a wedge squirt out pushing a hard maple over that wouldn't swing to keep it inside the property line, that was Saturday, busted my lip inside and out, luckily not all the way through. Its swollen, busted, and healing. Today I was threading the needle with a big poplar between two hard maples. Stumbled on my escape, 2 or 3 more steps and as I was turning around to look up my face got broadsided by a poplar limb falling from the heavens. knocked the hat off, knocked me down, but it wasn't too bad, a little bruised, a little swollen, some abrasions on the forehead and cheekbone and upper lip.

Any more of this and the wife is gonna think I'm getting in bar fights instead of working. I looked in my sideview mirror when I got back to the truck and laughed. Its getting to be a sight.

Welcome home Sam!

had a wedge squirt out pushing a hard maple over that wouldn't swing to keep it inside the property line, that was Saturday, busted my lip inside and out, luckily not all the way through. Its swollen, busted, and healing. Today I was threading the needle with a big poplar between two hard maples. Stumbled on my escape, 2 or 3 more steps and as I was turning around to look up my face got broadsided by a poplar limb falling from the heavens. knocked the hat off, knocked me down, but it wasn't too bad, a little bruised, a little swollen, some abrasions on the forehead and cheekbone and upper lip.

Any more of this and the wife is gonna think I'm getting in bar fights instead of working. I looked in my sideview mirror when I got back to the truck and laughed. Its getting to be a sight.

Welcome home Sam!

Good stuff Joe. I came home with both hands broke....I was afraid my wife would think I was out having too much fun after hours.

Looking up does have it's hazards, doesn't it, lol.

Thats always of fear of mine, turn around, look up, and get clobbered. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad Joe! The worst part is when the wife starts asking questions. Mine generally doesn't want to hear about the hairy ####. Tough to hide your evidence though!

Chain kicked back a pretty big dead knot yesterday in dented the hell out of my tin lid. Knocked it off my head and I staggered a couple of steps backwards. At the end of the day my cutting buddy asked what the hell that "tink" sound was. He heard that from a couple hundred yards away. This sure is turning out to be a good month. :givebeer:

I did get a new ring for my 044. Now its a 044 crank case with a 046 gas tank. It works.

Now that I'm out of the contract and all I currently have is some residential jobs here and there, I'm supposed to have the paperwork done by the end of the year. I don't mind working in the wind and rain, but the paperwork is killing me! You know, it's easy to neglect the maps and papers while you're in the bush. I'll need a legion of sneaky bookkeepers to sort this mess out.

Now that I'm out of the contract and all I currently have is some residential jobs here and there, I'm supposed to have the paperwork done by the end of the year. I don't mind working in the wind and rain, but the paperwork is killing me! You know, it's easy to neglect the maps and papers while you're in the bush. I'll need a legion of sneaky bookkeepers to sort this mess out.

My last year in the Marine Corps I was QC for the only 3rd shop on base (rebuild everything except for the frame). Paperwork is a big part of any job. We had to inspect the vehicles when the came in, spot checks as they were being worked on. Two different inspections after they were repaired. The job came with a mountian of paperwork, but it had it's reasons. I can actually say that thanks to a Gunney showing me the ins and outs of paperwork. I became damn good at it too. Love/hate relationship.

The job came with a mountian of paperwork, but it had it's reasons. I can actually say that thanks to a Gunney showing me the ins and outs of paperwork. I became damn good at it too.

Great! You like paperwork? I'll send you all of mine. Every bit of it. There's a ton.

It's year-end time. Reports, inventories, taxes, more reports, surveys, compliance explanations, non-compliance explanations, explanations of explanations, even more reports, renewals, referrals, and reiterations of every damn thing I've done, witnessed, bought, sold, cut, skidded, recycled, depreciated, and things I'd totally ignored hoping they would go away are now piled on my desk screaming for attention.

PM me your address...I'll load everything up. Have it done by Jan 1st, please. And don't make any mistakes. :dizzy:

Great! You like paperwork? I'll send you all of mine. Every bit of it. There's a ton.

PM me your address...I'll load everything up. Have it done by Jan 1st, please. And don't make any mistakes. :dizzy:

I dont mind doing paperwork. Not one bit. 99% of the time is neat, crisp, clean and highly legible. I did mention though a Gunney taught me how to do all the QC paperwork. Lots of red pen ink and trial and errors. Send your paperwork on up my way. Were almost to our one week lay off for christmas and new years. Pray that I dont drink too much beer and send you back cartoons drawn all over it. :cheers:

Welcome home Sam!

Glad to hear you're OK, Joe, could have been much worse!

I know the feeling though. One winter I was getting ready for a lunch fire, so was ripping a piece of junk to get the long noodles of sawdust (great fire starter!), a knot shot back, bloodied my nose, busted my lip and chipped a tooth! All for a stinking lunch fire no less!!! Lovely......just lovely!

I dont mind doing paperwork. Not one bit. 99% of the time is neat, crisp, clean and highly legible. I did mention though a Gunney taught me how to do all the QC paperwork. Lots of red pen ink and trial and errors. Send your paperwork on up my way. Were almost to our one week lay off for christmas and new years. Pray that I dont drink too much beer and send you back cartoons drawn all over it. :cheers:

No drinking while doing the paperwork! Except for coffee...gallons of it.

It's tough enough to wade through all this stuff sober and get it right. And it has to be right. I envision hordes of little bean-counters lurking in their cubicles waiting impatiently for my paperwork to arrive and then laughing maniacally while they slice, dice, disallow, and return my efforts to me for correction. The bean-counters live for that. It makes them feel good. It makes me grumpy.

So...no booze. I don't drink anymore but every year about this time I'm real tempted to start again. :redface:

My problem is my sloppy archiving. Most of the paper is everywhere inside the crummy. I just fished out a very non-organised pile under the driver's seat. A muddy footprint on the top... A nice day spent trying to read the water stained documents.

Bob, my first thought in the afternoon was: "Hey, it's happy hour in the pub right now. I bet my mates are already there." Don't worry. I'll be good and do the work first: I'm more afraid of my wife than all the bean-counters of this world.

Ah, paperwork. I agree: love/hate. When I inherited vehicle maintenance as a side duty awhile back, I discovered that we had no formal Material History records. To remedy that, I dug up all of the receipts I could find as well as e-mail communications and built, from scratch, an Access database to classify, categorize, and prioritize maintenance and repairs to 14 vehicles as well as 9 fire pump units. There were some detractors in the office thinking I was wasting time, but we've already been "audited" twice since I finished the raw version of this database, and both times simply passing on a copy of that file shut up both auditors and detractors. Now that the database is built, it's easy to maintain. I can't believe nobody bothered before.

Yeah, paperwork. I deal with alphabet agencies, they want accuracy, have deadlines, use ever changing formats, all for fairly worthless data. I am the senior tech, I delegate the most tedious, time consuming, labor intensive, mind numbing stuff to the junior staff. I also completely compartmentalized what we do, so it is a mystery to admin, they are clueless.

Latest posts

Back