The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metal detector saved my bacon a little while back. We were guyed back to a cat and I had just got the it buried so a put the shackle on the track by the blade. I run down to pull the lines up and notice the cat looks out of guy a little. So I run up to move it real quick before the lines get ready. Rut roh. Didn't grab the shackle I set out. So now I'm scratching around in the dirt that I shank this shackle into. Came back the next day with a friends metal detector and found it about a foot and half in the dirt. Pretty doughhead move on my part.

I've lost 2 log tapes in last 2 months. i stopped wearing axe scabbards after I broke my second, now I jam my axe through my belt and the head balances the handle and I prefer it- across the back sideways. It takes 2 hands to put it back but just a second, I think it works better, there's less to break, ann I don't catch the handle sticking up in the air when I have ot crawl through a top or something.

Work today. maybe some Sat. pics.

I started wearing my tape on my front belt loop instead of my wedge belt due to you and Sam talking about it. You guys were right, too low down there. Thanks!

That axe in the back is the way to go. The 3" belt leather loop I bolted to my wedge belt keeps the axe in there nice and snug. Just one hand in and out. I put the loop on at an angle so the axe is at a 45 degree to my back or so. It rarely gets in the way. Hope your cutting went well today!

I'm done packing an axe. Just keep the molly in the wedge pouch. Axe is in the pack. I'll hike up to it if I need it.

I learned a couple weeks ago that the scabbard can be dangerous bussiness. High stumped a tail tree with a dead pine hanging in it. Dumb. I'd seen it earlier and tried to make a mental note of it. Pouring rain, 32.1 degrees and in a hurry to strip out and get home. Forgot all about it, cruise control fully engaged. Tree goes over, hanger comes with it, knocks me in the head and brushes axe in scabbard. If it would have hooked that axe handle......ouch. My fault from the very begining.

Anyhow, no axe in a scabbard, or one stuffed downwards in the belt seems to be the way to go. I do like those mollys - Sam

I'm done packing an axe. Just keep the molly in the wedge pouch. Axe is in the pack. I'll hike up to it if I need it.

I learned a couple weeks ago that the scabbard can be dangerous bussiness. High stumped a tail tree with a dead pine hanging in it. Dumb. I'd seen it earlier and tried to make a mental note of it. Pouring rain, 32.1 degrees and in a hurry to strip out and get home. Forgot all about it, cruise control fully engaged. Tree goes over, hanger comes with it, knocks me in the head and brushes axe in scabbard. If it would have hooked that axe handle......ouch. My fault from the very begining.

Anyhow, no axe in a scabbard, or one stuffed downwards in the belt seems to be the way to go. I do like those mollys - Sam

I will still use my scabbard from time to time. Usually the hike in then it gets left with the jugs. Fill pockets with wedges leave axe there and take long plastic beater wedge. I have not used a Molly yet, but seriously considering one on the next order.

I will still use my scabbard from time to time. Usually the hike in then it gets left with the jugs. Fill pockets with wedges leave axe there and take long plastic beater wedge. I have not used a Molly yet, but seriously considering one on the next order.

I really like the mollys, forces you to be smart with your wedging/dutchmans. I became alot more effecient after I started packing one.....and I didn't work as hard.

I really like the mollys, forces you to be smart with your wedging/dutchmans. I became alot more effecient after I started packing one.....and I didn't work as hard.

Ya I'm buying. Just got to figure the new order. Wedge pouch usually stays with axe and usually two wedges and a beater go in pockets. That should still work. I have had to use the beater as an actual wedge a few times lately. Which is no good means a hike to the jugs.

I'll catch up on my whining in a short note. Christmas night my buddy totalled out my car. On the 27th, my trainee laid his knee cap open with my 064. 3 days later 064 blows up and I caught the crummy crud. Happy Fn Holidays folks.

I'll catch up on my whining in a short note. Christmas night my buddy totalled out my car. On the 27th, my trainee laid his knee cap open with my 064. 3 days later 064 blows up and I caught the crummy crud. Happy Fn Holidays folks.

Sounds like you've got the "curse of the 064" which was common in south county back in the day.

I hope not JJ. I like my 064, its a getting saw. As of right now its torn appart on my kitchen counter. Piece by piece is getting washed. Once Dan gets my bearings and seals in, I get to put it back together. Kind of stoked to see how well my woods port on it is going to act.

Serious whine.

I'm moving. We're selling our place in the valley and moving everything to the mountain house. I'm surrounded by cardboard boxes, garbage bags, and several piles of things that probably should be thrown away. Where did I get all this stuff? And why? 'Nuff said?

I'm moving. We're selling our place in the valley and moving everything to the mountain house. I'm surrounded by cardboard boxes, garbage bags, and several piles of things that probably should be thrown away. Where did I get all this stuff? And why? 'Nuff said?

We're moving too, my house looks like some grodey hoarder maze, and the only #### I really ever need is already packed away but it's gonna be worth it, the new place is out in the country with a monster assed saw shop and a barn that's gonna be gettin some chickens, rabbits, and 2 hogs (and maybe a beef if I'm really ambitious)

We're finally down to the point where there's more stuff at the place we're moving to then the place we're moving from.

I've gotta say it's going better than I expected. My wife and I are doing it ourselves. Other than a few choice words concerning a heavy maple dresser that got dropped on a foot we haven't had any serious arguments. Yet. I told her that she'll probably quit limping in a day or so.

The packing and labeling is an inexact science though. Like...why is there kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, and a set of exhaust gaskets for a D-6 in the same box? The mini-crummy and our little trash trailer remind me of The Grapes of Wrath. Thank God for good attach points, strong rope, and lots of bungee cords. And D-tape.

And, before you ask, yes, all the saw stuff got moved first. :laugh:

We're finally down to the point where there's more stuff at the place we're moving to then the place we're moving from.

I've gotta say it's going better than I expected. My wife and I are doing it ourselves. Other than a few choice words concerning a heavy maple dresser that got dropped on a foot we haven't had any serious arguments. Yet. I told her that she'll probably quit limping in a day or so.

The packing and labeling is an inexact science though. Like...why is there kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, and a set of exhaust gaskets for a D-6 in the same box? The mini-crummy and our little trash trailer remind me of The Grapes of Wrath. Thank God for good attach points, strong rope, and lots of bungee cords. And D-tape.

And, before you ask, yes, all the saw stuff got moved first. :laugh:

Hell Bob, that aint no kinda question at all, what do you think is the first stuff getting piled in my rig after we sign the closing papers :hmm3grin2orange:

Like a paler version of Sanford and son :laugh:

Hey Jake, which way you heading? West?

Yessir, West Valley's callin my name
I made a list of all of the #### I have to do when we move in and I almost #### myself

Fix fence for hogs (and maybe steer)
build rabbit hutches
buy beer for my awesome restored 50's Frigidaire
buy a fence charger and wire for hogs
buy hogs
buy rabbits
buy chickens
food for all of the above
install electric garage door opener
put hay in the hay loft without breaking my damn neck
fix a couple stall doors in the barn
fix window trim
fix trimboards on the floor

Nice! If you need any help at the new homestead, just give me a shout.

Thanks man, will do, if I do wind up getting a steer in addition to 2 hogs it's gonna be all hands on deck come slaughter time. I'll have to have you and Nate over for some horseshoes and whatnot

hell i was going to give you crap for playing on the computer. but it looks like you working. i'd rather go to work than move. i'm stayin put unless someone gives me a screamin offer on this place then i'll get my place in the woods. enjoy the new place.

Latest posts

Back