whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was very windy with occassional rain and thunder. A couple of poplars within a group cracking a wall, about half hour a tree....spent more time talking this morning than anything else. 4 cuts for a days money, cant be bad!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Off to grind stumps today I went. Made some good coin too. On the first job by 8:00, out of the last one by 4:30, had to haul one off, the rest were grind and go. Stopped down by 1 client who owed money and was supposed to be up... nobody home. Ran into 3 other clients on the way who want work done... 2 of them are just go do it.. nothing crazy, just a few scrub trees and raising 2 pines. Third I have to go look at. Dropped the grinder at the yard, went maybe 15 - 20 miles south to meet with somebody from earlier in the week, plus drop the grindings at another customer's house along with hitting the bank. First appointment... of course the furthest away wasn't home, and I didn't have a number to reach them at. Left an estimate nextdoor though. Went to the bank, luckily for me, then went to dump the grindings. Get the tools off the truck, the lady comes out... I changed my mind, don't drop off any fill or grindings. Load the tools back on and take off after BS'ing with her for a few. Get back into town, put fuel in the truck again. Dump the grindings at a local spot (only a few doors up from a job we did earlier in the day) Go pick up the chipper from a buddy's house whom I lent it to a few nights ago so he could clean up some scrub trees around his new place. Drop that at the yard, head to dinner at 8:30. Bar is PACKED! couldn't get a seat. Went back 1/2 hr later to get a seat. BS'ed with a client who I saw in there. Luckily the owner and waitresses were able to keep me awake enough to make it through dinner. What a friggin day.

got signs finally. next we get phone numbers and website on fenders.

I'm going to have to re-letter all my stuff, gonna be painful!

Dave have you heard of the "click to talk" deal coming out?

Its a deal that when someone goes to your site, on their smart phone, the just click on your site and it dials and saves your number in their phone. Sounds pretty cool, having my cousin set it up on mine

Today was very windy with occassional rain and thunder. A couple of poplars within a group cracking a wall, about half hour a tree....spent more time talking this morning than anything else.

Reg, is that your video "rigging a spar" If so, that winch ya used, how much is it rated for?

Dave, that video called BS, that guy telling ya'll that u cant work?

Last edited:
Reg, is that your video "rigging a spar" If so, that winch ya used, how much is it rated for?

Without looking at the video, the lowering device is 3Ton WLL. Or do you mean the hand winch that we used to pull the logs away from the wall? I think that was a 1.5T tirfor.

Lombardy's Dave Yes....although to reach such a height and still so skinny is a little more unusual around here. Thanks

Today was very windy with occassional rain and thunder. A couple of poplars within a group cracking a wall, about half hour a tree....spent more time talking this morning than anything else. 4 cuts for a days money, cant be bad!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice is that your crane? I can't see why it had to be used! I could see why if you owned it though:cheers: Its getting to be where no work is actually done any more lol , just crane it lol. I have done so many bad trees and never once had the luxury of a crane. Of course no one will pay enough per tree for its use here.

I thought I did. That's still not right either, now that I've had it out. It might just need some ####ing with or grease (hopefully).

I kinda feel like setting everything on fire, and running down the road naked, while telling the world to #### off.. but I guess that wouldn't accomplish too much either. :angry2:

Well, I guess I can put down the gas can and get dressed (for now). Two minute fix for the tractor (just need the part). Thank God! Can't blame me for being paranoid though, when something that sticks out of a John Deere transaxle is snapped clean off! You never know what I could have found unbolting that thing.. like some demented box of chocolates! lol.

attachment.php

Well, I guess I can put down the gas can and get dressed (for now). Two minute fix for the tractor (just need the part). Thank God! Can't blame me for being paranoid though, when something that sticks out of a John Deere transaxle is snapped clean off! You never know what I could have found unbolting that thing.. like some demented box of chocolates! lol.

attachment.php

Glad it went good for ya mds!

Nice is that your crane? I can't see why it had to be used! I could see why if you owned it though:cheers: Its getting to be where no work is actually done any more lol , just crane it lol. I have done so many bad trees and never once had the luxury of a crane. Of course no one will pay enough per tree for its use here.

rope, when it comes to crane work the only thing slowing you down from making money is the tree in front of you. why not use it (crane) and get to the next tree to make more money in a faster and easier manner?

why climb that mess when you can 2 pick them trees and be off to the next gig. only makes sense.

Glad it went good for ya mds!

Thanks rope!

Gonna see if I can tweek that bucket control somehow next, get that done maybe. That's pissing me off too. Worked fine in the yard after I swapped out the spring dealio, get it out on job and it's still acting up (just not as bad)! It never ends with this ####.

Hows the old grapple holding up to all the recent usage??

rope, when it comes to crane work the only thing slowing you down from making money is the tree in front of you. why not use it (crane) and get to the next tree to make more money in a faster and easier manner?

why climb that mess when you can 2 pick them trees and be off to the next gig. only makes sense.

If you owned it yeah but if your paying 300 per hour not so much! that row of lombards here would of been done for no more than 1500 and you would of been lucky to get that. Add in three hour min crane and there went most of your money. If you ever see rope using a crane you will see it had to be used! I bid a couple for a crane never got the job though!

Thanks rope!

Gonna see if I can tweek that bucket control somehow next, get that done maybe. That's pissing me off too. Worked fine in the yard after I swapped out the spring dealio, get it out on job and it's still acting up (just not as bad)! It never ends with this ####.

Hows the old grapple holding up to all the recent usage??

Lol like a champ but its operator is getting weak!:)

I'm going to have to re-letter all my stuff, gonna be painful!

Dave have you heard of the "click to talk" deal coming out?

Its a deal that when someone goes to your site, on their smart phone, the just click on your site and it dials and saves your number in their phone. Sounds pretty cool, having my cousin set it up on mine

gonna look into that Scott.

Yeah, the guy had a beef with the giant international corporation we were working for and was gonna try to chase us off the property we needed to access to get the tree down with the huge honey bee nest in.

The woman with us, the bee keeper that took the nest, just started flirting with him and it worked. Little did he know that she plays for the other team if you know what I mean.

Round here everybody that is anybody is getting some kind of crane and your out of the game without one.

There are a few crane contractors that do trees and they are teaching all the noobs how to do craners and they put those cranes on their sites and it is just like they have a crane themselves.

Price of removals is going way way down they are getting so damn easy and fast. Hardest part is getting rid of the schit wood anymore.

If you owned it yeah but if your paying 300 per hour not so much! that row of lombards here would of been done for no more than 1500 and you would of been lucky to get that. Add in three hour min crane and there went most of your money. If you ever see rope using a crane you will see it had to be used! I bid a couple for a crane never got the job though!

Due to the type, form and location of the trees the weather woulda had to be perfect to work those trees without a crane. And as it happened, had we turned up on that particular day to do the job I'd of had to say no, because it was just too dam windy....and what then for the rest of the day?

No I dont own a crane, i'm just a freelance climber/cutter. As it was Gary had the cost of the crane well covered in the bid. Its a popular misconception that you need a huge tree to warrant a crane, not true at all. You can knock of half a dozen smaller removal jobs in a day with the crane following you round, in a fraction of the time and effort....with good planning of course. Thats how we sell it to the client....safer, low impact, better cleanup and in and out before you know it. Minimum disruption to their lives....lots of clients bite when you put it to them that way.

If however you didn't have much work lined up for the forseeable future, then, it probably wouldn't be too smart.

Cool pics Reg. I like your rope bag, looks like it would really be handy for that type of job. And I can't help but notice your toting that 200t again, gotta love it.

Due to the type, form and location of the trees the weather woulda had to be perfect to work those trees without a crane. And as it happened, had we turned up on that particular day to do the job I'd of had to say no, because it was just too dam windy....and what then for the rest of the day?

No I dont own a crane, i'm just a freelance climber/cutter. As it was Gary had the cost of the crane well covered in the bid. Its a popular misconception that you need a huge tree to warrant a crane, not true at all. You can knock of half a dozen smaller removal jobs in a day with the crane following you round, in a fraction of the time and effort....with good planning of course. Thats how we sell it to the client....safer, low impact, better cleanup and in and out before you know it. Minimum disruption to their lives....lots of clients bite when you put it to them that way.

If however you didn't have much work lined up for the forseeable future, then, it probably wouldn't be too smart.

True, 35 years ago I started accumulating removals and then rented a crane to operate ourselves and make a killing. You do even better ofcourse when you got one paid for in your lot.

Off to grind stumps today I went. Made some good coin too. On the first job by 8:00, out of the last one by 4:30, had to haul one off, the rest were grind and go. Stopped down by 1 client who owed money and was supposed to be up... nobody home. Ran into 3 other clients on the way who want work done... 2 of them are just go do it.. nothing crazy, just a few scrub trees and raising 2 pines. Third I have to go look at. Dropped the grinder at the yard, went maybe 15 - 20 miles south to meet with somebody from earlier in the week, plus drop the grindings at another customer's house along with hitting the bank. First appointment... of course the furthest away wasn't home, and I didn't have a number to reach them at. Left an estimate nextdoor though. Went to the bank, luckily for me, then went to dump the grindings. Get the tools off the truck, the lady comes out... I changed my mind, don't drop off any fill or grindings. Load the tools back on and take off after BS'ing with her for a few. Get back into town, put fuel in the truck again. Dump the grindings at a local spot (only a few doors up from a job we did earlier in the day) Go pick up the chipper from a buddy's house whom I lent it to a few nights ago so he could clean up some scrub trees around his new place. Drop that at the yard, head to dinner at 8:30. Bar is PACKED! couldn't get a seat. Went back 1/2 hr later to get a seat. BS'ed with a client who I saw in there. Luckily the owner and waitresses were able to keep me awake enough to make it through dinner. What a friggin day.

I'm kind of amazed at what stump grinding pays. I have a friend that just grinds stumops for a living. He has several big tree outfits and lots of lawn jockeys he grinds for. I work for him when he's out of town or when he getts really busy. He pays me 1/3 when I grind for him. He usually has $720-1200 of work set up for me on busy days. Not bad for a spot day here and there. He charges $2.50-$3.00 and inch with a $60 min. If you want it hauled and dirt added it's double. He has work everyday weather allows.

Scott

Latest posts

Back