whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of amazed at what stump grinding pays. I have a friend that just grinds stumops for a living. He has several big tree outfits and lots of lawn jockeys he grinds for. I work for him when he's out of town or when he getts really busy. He pays me 1/3 when I grind for him. He usually has $720-1200 of work set up for me on busy days. Not bad for a spot day here and there. He charges $2.50-$3.00 and inch with a $60 min. If you want it hauled and dirt added it's double. He has work everyday weather allows.

Scott
Lol I grind a hundred at 12 per stump if they are mixed sizes and yes I can do it in one day:)

Due to the type, form and location of the trees the weather woulda had to be perfect to work those trees without a crane. And as it happened, had we turned up on that particular day to do the job I'd of had to say no, because it was just too dam windy....and what then for the rest of the day?

No I dont own a crane, i'm just a freelance climber/cutter. As it was Gary had the cost of the crane well covered in the bid. Its a popular misconception that you need a huge tree to warrant a crane, not true at all. You can knock of half a dozen smaller removal jobs in a day with the crane following you round, in a fraction of the time and effort....with good planning of course. Thats how we sell it to the client....safer, low impact, better cleanup and in and out before you know it. Minimum disruption to their lives....lots of clients bite when you put it to them that way.

If however you didn't have much work lined up for the forseeable future, then, it probably wouldn't be too smart.

I have been up lombards in the wind it is gonna look like this for me to rent crane lol btw i done this without one:)

badone_001.jpg

badone_007.jpg

I have been up lombards in the wind it is gonna look like this for me to rent crane lol btw i done this without one:)

badone_001.jpg

badone_007.jpg

Thats not really the point I was making....lots of trees are still safe to climb in the wind, but its the diminished options - mainly loss of directional control where lies the problem....and none more so than lombardy's. Things can end up taking a whole lot longer where there are targets down below....and at least over here where margins are so tight the job will rarely afford a hit like that!

Thats not really the point I was making....lots of trees are still safe to climb in the wind, but its the diminished options - mainly loss of directional control where lies the problem....and none more so than lombardy's. Things can end up taking a whole lot longer where there are targets down below....and at least over here where margins are so tight the job will rarely afford a hit like that!

Lol tight I don't know nothing about tight I mean I had nine foot room to the power line and all roof below me on that big pine bro! Use em if you can though but don't think it can't be done without a crane because I have done much worse than these pics show and never had one!

Lol tight I don't know nothing about tight I mean I had nine foot room to the power line and all roof below me on that big pine bro! Use em if you can though but don't think it can't be done without a crane because I have done much worse than these pics show and never had one!

Rope, with respect I know a little about conventional rigging of trees in tight spots, take my word for it.

When I said tight margins I wasn't refering to marginal space....I meant profit margins....we are making out by the skin of our teeth here since the recession kicked in, you follow:hmm3grin2orange:?

Back