whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can only speculate on what Gecko's intentions were but I would be VERY hesitant to buy them at your weight. No offense. Just too far over for day to day use to be comfortable, IMO. I weigh 190 and would only be over the weight limit every now and then which is fine in my book.

I agree and no offense taken at all. But the 300 was just so I had a little room to grow....:laugh:

We can only speculate on what Gecko's intentions were but I would be VERY hesitant to buy them at your weight. No offense. Just too far over for day to day use to be comfortable, IMO. I weigh 190 and would only be over the weight limit every now and then which is fine in my book.

I am right at 190 too but in my mind am 170 where I would like to be. I climbed for decades at 155 when young. Can't imagine why they put a weight limit on these spikes.

Is it the spike to the shank failure concern? Must be.... and if there is any worry about detachment at 240 lbs. then why they even gonna sell the things. Shock load is a huge factor when spiking. Gonna look more into this. I will be the reporter and follow up.

Im looking at buying a 60-65' bucket before next season. Im trying to decide to get one with a forestry package or rear mount. Im also wondering where to buy one, private party or from another outfit. Thinking of spending 20-30k. Looking at getting some info from people, thank you.

Tough to find a good rear mount in your price range but they are a helluvalot easier to get into places and setup. You can find a halfway decent forestry for $25K though. Make sure you have someone look over the boom before you buy so you know what will need to be fixed, because there will be stuff wrong with it in your price range. I paid $25K for my truck and just got it back from my boom tech to the tune of $7500. So I got $32,500 in it as it sits. I'm happy with it.

attachment.php

Tough to find a good rear mount in your price range but they are a helluvalot easier to get into places and setup. You can find a halfway decent forestry for $25K though. Make sure you have someone look over the boom before you buy so you know what will need to be fixed, because there will be stuff wrong with it in your price range. I paid $25K for my truck and just got it back from my boom tech to the tune of $7500. So I got $32,500 in it as it sits. I'm happy with it.

how bout pict of truck?

very nice Chris!:clap:

Thanks, Dave. Still debating the paint too. Maybe I'll do a classy roller job! lol Main issue is the paint on this truck is so nice I'd hate to cover it with my poor quality work. So, it's either get it done professionally to match the other trucks or leave it as is and try to tie in the colors with the lettering. Will probably depend on what color estimate truck I end up with.

Has anyone tried these out? They look nice....kinda pricey. I just bought a piar of klien steel spurs even though I didnt need em. Brand new without top pad for 60$. Seemed like a good buy. I was thinking about putting my alum "caddie" pads on the kliens and getting new ones for my bashlins. Cept I dont know of a better pad than the caddies lol.

Tree Stuff - Buckingham Big Buck Velcro Pads

And while I am at it....On my bashlins, I have noticed the spurs coming loose...just slightly. The screws are tight but the spur it self will move just alittle. It will NOT fall out because of how its designed but it just bugs me. So my question would be....will a new set of gaffs fit snug or is the pocket wearing out? Can bashlins ever wear out?? There is enough play , esp in the left one, that it tends to make a cool sound when "pop" it in the wood. Like before a big cut that u know is gonna give u a ride. Otherwise I just step regular with em and u can kinda hear a "clack" sound with each step. Anyone know what I mean?

Has anyone tried these out? They look nice....kinda pricey. I just bought a piar of klien steel spurs even though I didnt need em. Brand new without top pad for 60$. Seemed like a good buy. I was thinking about putting my alum "caddie" pads on the kliens and getting new ones for my bashlins. Cept I dont know of a better pad than the caddies lol.

Tree Stuff - Buckingham Big Buck Velcro Pads

And while I am at it....On my bashlins, I have noticed the spurs coming loose...just slightly. The screws are tight but the spur it self will move just alittle. It will NOT fall out because of how its designed but it just bugs me. So my question would be....will a new set of gaffs fit snug or is the pocket wearing out? Can bashlins ever wear out?? There is enough play , esp in the left one, that it tends to make a cool sound when "pop" it in the wood. Like before a big cut that u know is gonna give u a ride. Otherwise I just step regular with em and u can kinda hear a "clack" sound with each step. Anyone know what I mean?
I have them. I ordered them by mistake. I meant to order the regular velcro pads but I got these instead. They're pretty comfy so it was a good mistake. Caddy pads were starting to rub my shins.
Phil

attachment.php

I get the tree trader and there is a differance in price. I want one thats overcenter and diesel. I would like to buy one that was completly gone through. These places say they go through them but who can you trust. Looking for an honest dealer, they all look good in the magazine.

I get the tree trader and there is a differance in price. I want one thats overcenter and diesel. I would like to buy one that was completly gone through. These places say they go through them but who can you trust. Looking for an honest dealer, they all look good in the magazine.

True. Every place I've talked so far will sell them, but not work on them for you afterwards. But they've "gone through it?" Ok. Next.

ALB training

Just got notification of ALB compliance training by govt. in our area as bug was found bout 20 klicks from me.

Blakes or any of you guys out there got the ALB yet. Getting any td's from it?

Just got notification of ALB compliance training by govt. in our area as bug was found bout 20 klicks from me.

Blakes or any of you guys out there got the ALB yet. Getting any td's from it?

It's still just north of us as far as I know.

My buddy thought he found an ALB on a job the other weeekend. It turned out to be a white spotted pine sawyer (look alike). A common mistake, I guess.

EAB is getting close too I think. The DEP (I assume it's the DEP) has these purple traps strung up in the trees everywhere to monitor.

Last edited:
Prolly a dumb question but...how serious do u think they are about that wieght limit on geckos? Serious enough to say something....or just covering there asz in the EXTREMELY unlikely event of a faliure? I think Geckos look like they would be great but I am a fat asz so IDK. I wiegh 250 in my boxers. Gear up and IDK what I wiegh. ESP if i call for a big saw. I guess if 300 pounds is just to much for em then thats the price I gotta pay (no geckos) for stopping at that darn homemade custard stand. Its perfectly located between my trucks and my house. Chocolate almond is the flavor of the week...hhmmmm sounds pretty good. Does anyone know of a wieght limit for Bashlins?

I know most of you would rather take a 12 gauge blast to the face then ask justin anything but... before he came to Marquis he got a pair of titanium (i think they were geckos) gaffs. They were garabage and fell apart completely on him, they ended up giving him a full refund on them.

we got eab big time right in my local town. won't be til next year for mass td's tho. alb is less treatable so I see this all becoming similar to a mass storm in devastation. I see lots of planting ops too and ofcourse stumping.

As for the eab treating....everyone and their mother is into it including all the lawn services and exterminators. Also the big money getter is the chem co.s that are charging ridiculous amounts so they can be the big winner in the whole deal while the dumb arbs. collect their money and send it to them.

I know most of you would rather take a 12 gauge blast to the face then ask justin anything but... before he came to Marquis he got a pair of titanium (i think they were geckos) gaffs. They were garabage and fell apart completely on him, they ended up giving him a full refund on them.

I remember that. It was something other than the geckos though.. just can't remember what they were now (been a while).

Haven't seen any ALB or EAB personally. They've had those purple boxes in the ash trees for quite some time though. And, I'm not positive but I think it was a pair of Klein's that fell apart on OD.

Latest posts

Back