Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant beleive this has gone on 11 pages 😇 who would have thought an oil thread could throw up so much interest. There are an awful lot of old "vintage" saws out there in collectors hands some being used and some on shelves. A lot were made before two stroke oil came out. I had an old seagull out board motor made in 1960 the original manual said sae30 engine oil at 16:1
I sold this engine only a few years ago and the piston and cylinder were perfect, Greta would have loved it because it left an oil slick on the surface which they all did back then but now they are still around and a lot of collectors love them here in the uk.
Marketing is a wonderful tool, it convinces us we need the latest whatever it is because it's always better and being human we ALL fall for it in one way or another. I been trying different oils lately and all work great, some are cleaner than others but so far all work and do what they suposed to. So I'm starting to think get an oil brand your happy with and enjoy running your saw. If it fails you can almost guarantee it's not going to be oil at fault it's more likely a lean mixture or a dull chain. How many times I have seen idiots with a screaming saw a steaming bar and a chain chucking out dust instead of chips. There is so much more to cutting some firewood or using a saw properly.
I am no saint I have cut with a dull chain it's all part of the learning curve and I was lucky to be taught how to respect tools and look after them. Too many sadly these days think everything is throw away and easy come easy go so never learn to look after anything, sorry I'm wandering now. So whatever oil you use, if your happy stick with it because these days a brand is consistent and with fresh fuel it will work as made to. Humans on the other hand are far from consistent and there lies the problem. Stay sharp & stay safe.

What I do have a good understanding of is scientific testing, fluid flow and the 2nd law of thermo. To use a tired cliche, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. And for any test objective, there is more than one valid way to do it. I never claimed to be an engine expert. My comments were directed towards specific testing approaches.
I have no doubt on that. Also have no doubt you can't apply it to a motor.
If you don't understand motors, you can't gave a valid critique of test methodologies for motor oils.

Cant beleive this has gone on 11 pages 😇 who would have thought an oil thread could throw up so much interest. There are an awful lot of old "vintage" saws out there in collectors hands some being used and some on shelves. A lot were made before two stroke oil came out. I had an old seagull out board motor made in 1960 the original manual said sae30 engine oil at 16:1
I sold this engine only a few years ago and the piston and cylinder were perfect, Greta would have loved it because it left an oil slick on the surface which they all did back then but now they are still around and a lot of collectors love them here in the uk.
Marketing is a wonderful tool, it convinces us we need the latest whatever it is because it's always better and being human we ALL fall for it in one way or another. I been trying different oils lately and all work great, some are cleaner than others but so far all work and do what they suposed to. So I'm starting to think get an oil brand your happy with and enjoy running your saw. If it fails you can almost guarantee it's not going to be oil at fault it's more likely a lean mixture or a dull chain. How many times I have seen idiots with a screaming saw a steaming bar and a chain chucking out dust instead of chips. There is so much more to cutting some firewood or using a saw properly.
I am no saint I have cut with a dull chain it's all part of the learning curve and I was lucky to be taught how to respect tools and look after them. Too many sadly these days think everything is throw away and easy come easy go so never learn to look after anything, sorry I'm wandering now. So whatever oil you use, if your happy stick with it because these days a brand is consistent and with fresh fuel it will work as made to. Humans on the other hand are far from consistent and there lies the problem. Stay sharp & stay safe.
I get what your saying. However, to use your example. Outboards have improved greatly since the days of your old Segull. Like wise, chainsaws, oils have also improved.

Hmm. That is like saying if an event is not listed in the Guiness World Records, it didn't happen.
That comment is just asinine and stupid.
BTW this is how you spell Guinness.

You say that you have reflected on your behaviour on here, with God and you have apologised to everyone, then literally 3 minutes later you start the same provocative nonsense with me. I imagine God is well aware of your short-lived good intentions and how worthless they are.
I would also say that I read through your list of publications and I don't think I saw even one of them which pertains to the petrochemical industry.
Perhaps it's time for you to give yourself, God and everyone else, a break.

I get what your saying. However, to use your example. Outboards have improved greatly since the days of your old Segull. Like wise, chainsaws, oils have also improved.
Yes I know, a huge difference in oils these days with less smoke and no black goo dripping from exhausts (memories of the old BSA Bantam two stroke bike) oils have come a long way. My currant oil has been Motul 800 and Putoline MX9 and very happy with results so far very clean. The average saw would run very happy on any FD rated oil and I know some who dont care what 2T oil they put in a mix as long as it works, these I now refuse to repair because they are so abused and dirty its just not worth my time.

I have no doubt on that. Also have no doubt you can't apply it to a motor.
If you don't understand motors, you can't gave a valid critique of test methodologies for motor oils.
There are multiple ways to test film strength. I believe all will produce the same ranking of oils. This is sort of like taking temperature on different thermometers. They may not all give the same reading but will all tell which has the highest temperature. The validity of the test has nothing to do with what the oil is used in, whether it be engines, gearboxes or whatever.

That comment is just asinine and stupid.
BTW this is how you spell Guinness.

You say that you have reflected on your behaviour on here, with God and you have apologised to everyone, then literally 3 minutes later you start the same provocative nonsense with me. I imagine God is well aware of your short-lived good intentions and how worthless they are.
I would also say that I read through your list of publications and I don't think I saw even one of them which pertains to the petrochemical industry.
Perhaps it's time for you to give yourself, God and everyone else, a break.
I apologized for getting personal and insulting. That does not mean I won't disagree on a more professional level. Diet Ginger Beer's statement that if it isn't listed it did not happen made no sense, so I made an analogy to point out the absurdity.

It doesn't help that there are so many two stroke oils out there - 563 on the JASO list alone. Its just oil additives and colouring.

Hey guys, been thinking about this lately, what do y'all run in your equipment? I normally run Super Tech full synthetic, or if they're sold out/I forgot to buy some, I run Lucas semi synthetic. I'm wondering if I should switch to a mow name brand oil. Not sure if it matters, but my 2 stroke equipment consists of an Echo 2620 and PB9010T, a Shihl MS260 and Fs55, and a Redmax BCZ260T.
I'm most interested in Echo Red Armor, because of it being red (seems like an added safety for when your tired or distracted) but it's also the most expensive. Also on the table is Redmax full synthetic, Amsoil Saber, VP Racing full synthetic, or more Lucas semi synthetic (it's only semi synthetic, bit it is the cheapest). I'm open to any other brands too.
Thanks in advance!
Courage

I apologized for getting personal and insulting. That does not mean I won't disagree on a more professional level. Diet Ginger Beer's statement that if it isn't listed it did not happen made no sense, so I made an analogy to point out the absurdity.
A more "professionial" level? good grief, I have seen precious little of that from you. You clearly don't know the meaning of the word.
Saying that an oil has been self certified is like saying someone has self certified a university degree and therefore has obtained that degree without actually obtaining it. Any oil company can claim they "meet the standard" but unless that has been shown to be the case by proving it to the JASO board, it hasn't happened. This is patently obvious so your response can only be considered deliberately provocative and clutching at straws.
If someone claims to have made a Guinness world record but no one saw it, it doesn't get into the book and therefore in effect never happened. But you surely know that already, you just like getting attention, starting arguments based on ridiculous notions and causing as much trouble as you can.
BTW here are some insults for you: you are insufferably and delusionally arrogant, conceited, stomach churningly passive-aggressive, you persistently try to punch above your weight intellectually, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are, you think God has any time for you; trust me He doesn't; he thinks you're an arrogant idiot like I imagine most other people do, who have the misfortune to come into contact with you.
You try to feed your pitiful ego by using the techniques of psychological vampirism.
Stick that lot in your pipe and smoke it, then go back to church and ask God for forgiveness because you sure as hell 'aint going to get any from anyone here after your persistent attempts to cause as much trouble and upset as you can muster.

You are nothing but a glorified troll who uses intellectual dishonesty to feed off others. Playing these games with others is theft of their dignity and you do so to the detriment of your own spiritual health.

Happy now?

Edit: you can respond with whatever smart-arse comments you like and I'm sure you will; I won't be reading them and I have turned off notifications for all threads on this website. I won't be visiting, posting or reading anything ever again on this website.
Everyone else on here has been kind, helpful and supportive. You on the hand have ensured that this website has one less member going forward. I don't need troll snakes in my life. It's people like you who spoil it for everyone else because of your selfish needs.

I use echo red armor 50:1 mix no problems since 2018, I did research and found that red armor is one of the best and Honda hp2 is best but there is no protection from the process of the current gas market while red armor offers protection against the modern gas market

There are multiple ways to test film strength. I believe all will produce the same ranking of oils. This is sort of like taking temperature on different thermometers. They may not all give the same reading but will all tell which has the highest temperature. The validity of the test has nothing to do with what the oil is used in, whether it be engines, gearboxes or whatever.
The tests really have to be industry standard test run by certified lab to mean anything. Some guy in a garage is pointless.
As it pertains to two cycle oils high film strength after a point can be very counter productive or we woukd be running 80w oils loaded with zinc and moly. Actually the same is true of four cycle oils as well.

A more "professionial" level? good grief, I have seen precious little of that from you. You clearly don't know the meaning of the word.
Saying that an oil has been self certified is like saying someone has self certified a university degree and therefore has obtained that degree without actually obtaining it. Any oil company can claim they "meet the standard" but unless that has been shown to be the case by proving it to the JASO board, it hasn't happened. This is patently obvious so your response can only be considered deliberately provocative and clutching at straws.
If someone claims to have made a Guinness world record but no one saw it, it doesn't get into the book and therefore in effect never happened. But you surely know that already, you just like getting attention, starting arguments based on ridiculous notions and causing as much trouble as you can.
BTW here are some insults for you: you are insufferably and delusionally arrogant, conceited, stomach churningly passive-aggressive, you persistently try to punch above your weight intellectually, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are, you think God has any time for you; trust me He doesn't; he thinks you're an arrogant idiot like I imagine most other people do, who have the misfortune to come into contact with you.
You try to feed your pitiful ego by using the techniques of psychological vampirism.
Stick that lot in your pipe and smoke it, then go back to church and ask God for forgiveness because you sure as hell 'aint going to get any from anyone here after your persistent attempts to cause as much trouble and upset as you can muster.

You are nothing but a glorified troll who uses intellectual dishonesty to feed off others. Playing these games with others is theft of their dignity and you do so to the detriment of your own spiritual health.

Happy now?

Edit: you can respond with whatever smart-arse comments you like and I'm sure you will; I won't be reading them and I have turned off notifications for all threads on this website. I won't be visiting, posting or reading anything ever again on this website.
Everyone else on here has been kind, helpful and supportive. You on the hand have ensured that this website has one less member going forward. I don't need troll snakes in my life. It's people like you who spoil it for everyone else because of your selfish needs.
Wow! And spot on!

I use echo red armor 50:1 mix no problems since 2018, I did research and found that red armor is one of the best and Honda hp2 is best but there is no protection from the process of the current gas market while red armor offers protection against the modern gas market
Both are good. I like red armor a little better.

Both are good. I like red armor a little better.
The Echo Red Armour is fine to a certain extent, but it is not as good as Amsoil Saber Pro. I have been running Amsoil Saber Pro, 1st at 50 to 1, and now at 42.6 to 1, basically 3 ounces of 2 stroke oil to 1 gallon of fuel. I have been doing this since 1998.

Echo Red Armour, if you do not run this oil at full throttle all of the time, you will get deposits, let's be realistic, you are not going to run your chainsaw or trimmer at full throttle all of the time. Where are the deposits going to be, in the exhaust port. Why am I mentioning this, well, I wanted to use the Echo Red Armour and I was made aware of this issue by someone who used this 2-stroke oil. I have an Echo SRM- 2601 trimmer that I have been using since 1998 and the exhaust port has never needed to be cleaned up, and I have taken the muffler off, back in 2022 and there was barely any carbon in the exhaust port.

Why does the Amsoil Saber Pro work, because you can idle your 2-stroke equipment and not build up deposits. Maybe I do not idle my stuff long like the 1 member here who had an issue with the Red Armour.

Anyone reading this, do not use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1 in a Chainsaw, I do not care what Amsoil says, I would rather use Echo Red Armour at 50 to 1 than to use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1

Are there better 2 stroke Oils out there, yes, but you will be spending more Money.

1) Maxima K2
2) Bel Ray HR-1

42.6 to 1 or 40 to 1 is the way to go with any 2-stroke oil you are using.

Back