Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is actually no testing or certifying done by a third-party though. It’s all on the honor system. So basically Jif can claim that their extra crunchy peanut butter meets FD cert criteria and if they pay the man they can get permission to print the square FD on the back of the jar
And this is why after 25 years and countless hours of reliable results from Chevron and Shell lubricants I will continue to use them and recommend them to others. When it comes to 2-stroke stuff I'll take your word for it and ignore what the online testimonials and you-tube heroes claim.

The Manufacturer of the oil pays for the Certification testing criteria , many choose not to . Ultra HP has the Jaso FD Certification on the bottle , unfortunately it stinks . The Original Stihl Ultra manufactured by Castrol in Canada does not stink , is not FD oil rather FB which causes deposits & sponge within 2 cycle engines as does the American Ultra manufactured by Omni

Do you have a picture of such HP Ultra bottle on which Stihl would rate it as ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD?
I've never seen such information (other than obvious mistakes on some websites).

The only Stihl oil that is classified as ISO-L-EGD/FD is HP Super. This is the oil popularly referred to as "semi-synthetic".
The other oils available in Europe are classified as ISO-L-EGB/FB. These are HP Ultra (“synthetic”) and HP (mineral).

This oil, which in Canada is supplied by Castrol, is available under the name 'Stihl 2T Premium'.

Sounds about right Kevin within today's Certification Protocol . Even the original Jaso testing criteria was sketchy at best 2 cycle air cooled generators . Perhaps the reason numerous oil suppliers opt out . lol. I think Ben had a video showing the various testing a few yrs back . Rudimentary as i said at best , back then .
I'd rather have some rudimentary testing than nothing if that is all there is and let people decide if it is valid or not. In today's world I trust no ones claims to anything.

Do you have a picture of such HP Ultra bottle on which Stihl would rate it as ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD?
I've never seen such information (other than obvious mistakes on some websites).

The only Stihl oil that is classified as ISO-L-EGD/FD is HP Super. This is the oil popularly referred to as "semi-synthetic".
The other oils available in Europe are classified as ISO-L-EGB/FB. These are HP Ultra (“synthetic”) and HP (mineral).

This oil, which in Canada is supplied by Castrol, is available under the name 'Stihl 2T Premium'.
No , i don't have the Ultra HP , i have never purchased any Stihl oil . Í have used Stihl high performance & Stihl Premium both given to me . The Original Ultra for 4 mix was also given to me with a FS110 powér broom i purchased after servicing it for a customer . The HP i have never bought but have ran saws for customers who use it . An ok oil but very pricy & not super clean . I believe your correct that the bottle Sean sent a pic of may well have been Stihl Super from the UK which was FD Certified on the bottle . None of the Grey Ultra or HP bottles i have seen available in Canada are FD Certified rather FB or FC from the 80's Quality . P.S. The Stihl Premium in the White bottle is manufactured by Castrol in Canada as is the Original Ultra in the Grey bottle nothing from Omini that iam aware of brother .

Sean and North by Northwest - yep clear bottles, identical to the ones Simon showed. My local shop doesn’t sell Super though, just HP and HP Ultra.
View attachment 1195061
Vintage advised us of the Stihl Super available within the UK which is Jaso FD Certified you stated ? Never seen the product before brother !

In the UK Ultra is rated as FD compliant , no Certification as we are all aware !
It's not a UK website, it's a South African site, and as I wrote in this thread, it's an obvious error, of which there are more on Stihl's websites.

https://web.archive.org/web/2021012...s/21233-1558/zweitaktmotorenoel-hp-super.aspx

Someone made a mistake in creating new versions of the web pages. Notice the lack of ISO-L-EGD marking on the HP Ultra bottle, which is on the HP Super bottle.
These oils are as they are in Europe - made in Germany.

In the UK Ultra is rated as FD compliant , no Certification as we are all aware !
I didn't see it on the jaso lost either, just an observation from the stihls site. The usa site doesn't claim it to be fd certified/complaint, or any other certification.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils-lubricants-fuels/oils-and-lubricants/oilhpultra/
Down in the q&a they are quick to state "refer to your equipments owners manual and research if our oil is compatable with your equipment."
There are very few modern day o.p.e mfgs that don't clearly state in the owner's manual using anything but an fd rated oil.

There are very few modern day o.p.e mfgs that don't clearly state in the owner's manual using anything but an fd rated oil.

Stihl is a fairly notable exception here. Of course, this is because their oils other than HP Super are classified by them as FB.

1723660819513.png

Nor does it mention ratios other than 1:50. It used to be that Husqvarna's manuals, for example, listed a ratio of 1:33 for FC oils. In the instructions for the Asian market, ratios such as 1:25 are still mentioned.

And all this is subordinated to the companies' efforts to meet legal requirements for exhaust emissions...

I didn't see it on the jaso lost either, just an observation from the stihls site. The usa site doesn't claim it to be fd certified/complaint, or any other certification.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils-lubricants-fuels/oils-and-lubricants/oilhpultra/
Down in the q&a they are quick to state "refer to your equipments owners manual and research if our oil is compatable with your equipment."
That's because as you well know Sean , its not world class oil . The HP Super is foreign to me , if its FD Certified or Compliant so be it. Unfortunately not available to me & therefore irrelevant as a plausible alternative to the tried & proven oils I have available locally lol.

Where would "here" be ?
Stihl is a fairly notable exception here. Of course, this is because their oils other than HP Super are classified by them as FB.

View attachment 1197446

Nor does it mention ratios other than 1:50. It used to be that Husqvarna's manuals, for example, listed a ratio of 1:33 for FC oils. In the instructions for the Asian market, ratios such as 1:25 are still mentioned.

And all this is subordinated to the companies' efforts to meet legal requirements for exhaust emissions...

It's not a UK website, it's a South African site, and as I wrote in this thread, it's an obvious error, of which there are more on Stihl's websites.

https://web.archive.org/web/2021012...s/21233-1558/zweitaktmotorenoel-hp-super.aspx

Someone made a mistake in creating new versions of the web pages. Notice the lack of ISO-L-EGD marking on the HP Ultra bottle, which is on the HP Super bottle.
These oils are as they are in Europe - made in Germany.
Africa ? That's because we all were assuming it was a UK product , Africa is even more remote lol. Moot point , not interested in offshore oil products lol.

View attachment 1197446

Not really interested within epa regulated oil mandates or the Asian or Africian Marketing brother !

View attachment 1197446

Husquarna also recommends 32:1 or richer within European market for saws above 70 cc using their oil , go figure . Cow manure petrol or they can't tune a saw to save their lives !

Latest posts

Back