Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extensive conversations with Walbro themselves has revealed some interesting facts...

The WB-9 was made for the 750
The WB-2 was made for the Super 650
The WB-22A/22ACR was never released in the US
The WB-24A/24ACR and WB42 were Karting applications.... these carbs run $100 and are very special to one particular Kart design, the kit alone runs >$50

I have the actual production drawings for these carbs and they are almost exactly the same EXCEPT... Jetting. The WB-2 and 9 were jetted for the chainsaw and the WB-22/24/42 are jetted for Karts, meaning you'd have to turn the jet in a little more, like 1/2 turn instead of the standard 1.25 turns. All except the WB-9 have 23.8mm venturi, the WB-9 is 20.9mm and why the Super 650 gives a good kick to the 750...

These all have the choke and may vary slightly with how the throttle shaft is connected to the linkage, meaning you may need to change the connecting devise to fit a saw throttle rod, each looks a little different (for a kart remember).

But anyway, we now know that there are alternatives for a replacement carb on you 650/750 saw. I've been watching for a WB-2 for two years now... problem solved!

More info... Cowroy, your Sachs 166 takes the same carb as the 650/750 mount, just different tuning or 'calibration" as the Walbro rep calls it. Direct reply from him below.

Yes, they were for Sachs-=Dolmar and they were both used on the same 166 model engine which is a 118cc engine. They are the same “family” which means they’ll mount the same but I can’t tell you about the calibrations as they are obsolete and drawings are no longer available.

Also tells me that the 166 will probably whip up on a 750 with a WB-9 installed. HOWEVER, a 750 with a bigger carb may be a different story as the nod for RPM goes to the 750, it may be untouchable by a stock saw of any size once modified.

I'd curious to see the Super 797 against the 750. Anybody have the operating RPM of that model?

Uncle Lee, ever ran the 750 against the 797?

More info... Cowroy, your Sachs 166 takes the same carb as the 650/750 mount, just different tuning or 'calibration" as the Walbro rep calls it. Direct reply from him below.

Yes, they were for Sachs-=Dolmar and they were both used on the same 166 model engine which is a 118cc engine. They are the same “family” which means they’ll mount the same but I can’t tell you about the calibrations as they are obsolete and drawings are no longer available.

Also tells me that the 166 will probably whip up on a 750 with a WB-9 installed. HOWEVER, a 750 with a bigger carb may be a different story as the nod for RPM goes to the 750, it may be untouchable by a stock saw of any size once modified.

I'd curious to see the Super 797 against the 750. Anybody have the operating RPM of that model?

Repped! You never cease to amaze me!!

I have the original drawing set (copy) for the WB-22/22a, WB-24A, WB-25/25PL and WB-42. Luis claims they are all that is left. More than likely, what he wanted to dig out :msp_wink:

Anybody wants a copy, PM me your email and I'll sent it. Now I haven't dug thru these with a fine toothed comb, you can if you'd like. Mount is the same leaving only jetting and calibration differences. Of course the connection from throttle rod and carb are different as well, but should be an easy change.

Last edited:

Nice info my dear watson. I see i have to run
the two saws the next good day i have. I would
have to say the 750 probably has more rpm but
the 797 i'm sure will have more torque.

Uncle Lee

I've put about 15 minutes of run time on my 750 with the wb2 and a new p&c, but it seems like my 166 would spank it. Not a definitive answer, just my opinion. In fact, I think a fresh 2000/2100 would be right there with the 750. I know the 750 will get a little better as the rings seat-maybe-but it won't be enough to hang with a 166. At the pnw gtg I think we'll find out for sure.

I've put about 15 minutes of run time on my 750 with the wb2 and a new p&c, but it seems like my 166 would spank it. Not a definitive answer, just my opinion. In fact, I think a fresh 2000/2100 would be right there with the 750. I know the 750 will get a little better as the rings seat-maybe-but it won't be enough to hang with a 166. At the pnw gtg I think we'll find out for sure.

Are you laying down a challenge here? :)

In stock form it's hard to find a saw that will hang with
a 166 in big wood. In smaller wood the 750 may shine
a bit but when you get in stuff 36 inch and larger there
abouts the 166 has the torque and just keeps on pullin
like a freight train. JMO.

Uncle Lee

We're going to find out this Saturday at the Virginia GTG. Randy is bringing the 166 and we'll run it against my 750 and then against Toms 750 with a bigger carb (if it comes it time). It should be a good contest... and may actually come down to a chain sharpening contest. From the spec sheet the Homelite does run a higher RPM but I'd say the torque goes to the 166.

I'll bring a 36" bar to run it against some bigger wood as well.

RPM on the 2000/2100 are much lower and would help in pulling a big bar with better torque. We'll run one of them this weekend as well and we'll find out. 2000 against the 750 and I would bet the 750 is the winner until big wood comes into play.

Are you laying down a challenge here? :)

Yes, it will be a great opportunity to run all the saws in the same wood head to head. And the more examples the better. Running Bobs 111 last year, I learned those are fast. But my comparisons are from cutting 30" oak. The 750 and 166 are running 3/8 x 8 pin with the same grind. The super 2000 I just put together just blows me away. Just grunts. So it's wearing 404 x 8 pin. Little more chain speed there to make up for the rpm difference. The rakers were set to .035 on it too, which is probably more than the 3/8 is grabbing. From what I was reading, my 750 just wasn't up to snuff in the little bit I've run it. So hopefully there will be another 750 there to compare it to. You got a 101b that you would bring, JJ? That's not a challenge, that's begging. :wink2:

Last edited:
Will there be some video footage of this fabled PNW GTG? In case a guy can't make it, sounds like the 7 cube throwdown will be something to behold!! I cannot wait to hear/see the outcome(s)-very exciting stuff:rock:

Yes, it will be a great opportunity to run all the saws in the same wood head to head. And the more examples the better. Running Bobs 111 last year, I learned those are fast. But my comparisons are from cutting 30" oak. The 750 and 166 are running 3/8 x 8 pin with the same grind. The super 2000 I just put together just blows me away. Just grunts. So it's wearing 404 x 8 pin. Little more chain speed there to make up for the rpm difference. The rakers were set to .035 on it too, which is probably more than the 3/8 is grabbing. From what I was reading, my 750 just wasn't up to snuff in the little bit I've run it. So hopefully there will be another 750 there to compare it to. You got a 101b that you would bring, JJ? That's not a challenge, that's begging. :wink2:

Yeah I have several kartsaws I'd bring- three 101b's, a 91b, and a mystery motor if I can get it done in time. I hope to get my Dykes ring piston Homie 2100 done by then too. I gotta run up to Ric's and get some more goodies.

I got some more done on the 990G.:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still looking for a serviceable piston for a Homie 2000. Even a scored one would be an improvement over one with the ring land blown out.:msp_ohmy:

I'm afraid to even try to run it now.

I have a piston for a 1050 if anyone needs it. (not a 100% positive I.D. on it.)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back