Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old fella said it would run (actually he was a year younger than me). took off the main components and cleaned everything. tank was dry when I bought it, could see some debris from old fuel drying up so threw in a handful of my usual, stub nails and paint thinner. buncha shaking and a rinse with gas. fresh mix. little bit in the spark plug hole. fired on the 3rd pull, closed the choke and it ran for a second. another squirt in the plug hole and it's freaking running. didn't touch the carb. guess that cheap consumer ignition is ok. :p sorry, had to take that shot.

haven't started the 621 in a few months. went to do that and pulled the handle off the starter rope. rope is only 21" long. does anyone know if that is correct? feels short pulling it. thanks!

haven't started the 621 in a few months. went to do that and pulled the handle off the starter rope. rope is only 21" long. does anyone know if that is correct? feels short pulling it. thanks!
I usually start with 40" or so.......you want to load the pulley as full as you can. A full pulley is much easier to pull over.

I think 5mm......but take the pullly with you and what fits better. It wants to fill the pulley width wise as close as possible but not bind.
the 621 has some pretty thin rope on it right now, I'm sure it's not original. the 59SP has a thick rope, might be original. I have a 60" roll of new Stihl rope that measures about 2.8mm. need a new handle, the old rope with a washer under the knot pulled right thru it. will look around.

there are 2 Stihl dealers in town (not counting Ace Hardware and Rural King as they have no parts). went to the better of the 2 looking for a standard Stihl pull start handle which 90% of their saws come with, they had none. none. WTH? I did get 4 feet of 4MM Stihl starter rope at $1.00 per foot. so I went to the other dealer, not one I've had good vibes with in the past, the handle was $6.70, which was less than I thought it would be.

as far as I'm concerned, anything with that much compression should have a compression release. same goes for my 925 Super and 044.
Maybe. But I find a decomp is a PIA on a commercial saw. I worked with 100CC saws with no decomp for yrs. You just get used to it. My 90 has a decomp and when I carry it through the woods running, my knuckles hit the decomp. Mostly I plug them anyway because they can leak.

Squeals(Stihl) seem to require a lot of pulls unless you hit their sweet spot.

Kevin

there are 2 Stihl dealers in town (not counting Ace Hardware and Rural King as they have no parts). went to the better of the 2 looking for a standard Stihl pull start handle which 90% of their saws come with, they had none. none. WTH? I did get 4 feet of 4MM Stihl starter rope at $1.00 per foot. so I went to the other dealer, not one I've had good vibes with in the past, the handle was $6.70, which was less than I thought it would be.
Lots of places like chainsawr.com and sawagain.com may have the authentic recoil handle. And various vendors on eBay. Check here first thought because a lot of eBay vendors are cockamamie fools, to say the least. I was banned forever with one vendor because he sold me a bogus workshop manual and I complained that it was bogus. Beats giving your money back I guess.

Kevin

today must be my lucky day. I should buy a lotto ticket. 9 or 10 days ago I messaged a Marketplace seller about a Jonsereds chainsaw. never got a return message. probably messaged them 4 times. last night I decided to give it one more try and this morning got a message apologizing and saying they forgot they posted it. 17 minutes from my house. met an amazingly spry 86-year-old gentleman. he and his wife had just moved to florida from wisconsin a couple of months ago. super nice guy.

says he bought it new and other than the first month he had it, clearing a lot, it had hardly been used, but was fired up regularly. he admitted that the last time was years ago and there is old fuel in it. has a 24" bar on it but he says he has a 36 and when he finds it will call me. as I was leaving he says, hold on. he just wanted to pick it up and hold it one more time.

8-24-24.jpgPXL_20240824_150305725.MP.jpgPXL_20240824_150609718.MP.jpg

today must be my lucky day. I should buy a lotto ticket. 9 or 10 days ago I messaged a Marketplace seller about a Jonsereds chainsaw. never got a return message. probably messaged them 4 times. last night I decided to give it one more try and this morning got a message apologizing and saying they forgot they posted it. 17 minutes from my house. met an amazingly spry 86-year-old gentleman. he and his wife had just moved to florida from wisconsin a couple of months ago. super nice guy.

says he bought it new and other than the first month he had it, clearing a lot, it had hardly been used, but was fired up regularly. he admitted that the last time was years ago and there is old fuel in it. has a 24" bar on it but he says he has a 36 and when he finds it will call me. as I was leaving he says, hold on. he just wanted to pick it up and hold it one more time.

View attachment 1199873View attachment 1199874View attachment 1199875
Wow....I remember you said he ghosted ya. Turns out he was just old and forgot....ya never know! Great find!! It won't run a 36" bar unless it's 3/8". 32" is its limit for .404.

Bottom is great...just scratched from moving around. Wish I could find an old forgotten 90 like that with low hours. Actually, I don't need anymore saws....lol.

Kevin

a
Wow....I remember you said he ghosted ya. Turns out he was just old and forgot....ya never know! Great find!! It won't run a 36" bar unless it's 3/8". 32" is its limit for .404.

Bottom is great...just scratched from moving around. Wish I could find an old forgotten 90 like that with low hours. Actually, I don't need anymore saws....lol.

Kevin
yeah, I'd have no use for a 36" bar anyways but will take it if he finds it.

a

yeah, I'd have no use for a 36" bar anyways but will take it if he finds it.
If it's the 'real deal', it will be for 10mm bar studs. The PO could have filed the inside of a Husky bar to make it fit. I think I only have one authentic 36" bar for the older Jonsereds big cc saws. The older Large Husky bars were pretty close(sloppy machining from the factory) or easily altered.

If he finds the old bar and it's .404, I'll buy it from you if ya wanna sell.

Kevin

Back