McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

I am guessing a 1-70 series model, 1-71 or bigger? It could also be one of the 700 Series saws like a 740 or 790 since there is no compression release but I have never seen any of them with the all yellow top.

There should be some numbers stamped on the bottom of the crank case to identify the model. Please let us know what it is, and if you decide not to take it. I am still looking for several of the 1-70 series saws and for a 790.

Mark

It is a model with the oiler canister exposed up in front of the handles. I don't know the term, but it does not have the flat plate front like most of the smaller (or modern) saws.

brian,
does taht long bar have the same bar mount pattern as the 250? if so can you take a close up pic of it? maybe a pic next to a stihl bar, if you have one ...
tahnks
john

Here is the bar that was on the Super 250 witch has the same mount pattern as the long one, on top of a Stihl bar. The pic is kind of blurry but you should be able to see the Mac bar is about an 1/8th"sh smaller than the Stihl bar slot.

attachment.php

Here is the Super 250 against a bar for a 10-10. The 10-10 bar slot is quit a bit smaller than the one for the Super 250.

attachment.php

I believe there are two mounting patterns for the Macs, one for the 10-10s and other small ones, and then a slightly larger one for the rest of the larger Macs. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm or correct me on this. Here is a couple of links from Acres site with some info on the bar mounts.
This should be for the larger saws.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0dbf85f6a2a9a7c988256e0e001f792a?OpenDocument
And this should be for the smaller ones.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8574fd6d799b8c8588256e0e001eea39?OpenDocument

Brian, the first image that you labled "large saws" is the bar pattern that fits the 10 Series, 600 Series, and Titan/Double Eagle etc saw with the 5/16" stud. The second one is the small McCulloch "consumer" saws like the Power Mac (300) and Mini Mac saws.

It is relatively easy to file or mill the slots on a 10 Series bar to allow it to work on the larger saws, but many of those bars are too "thin" and need spacers or the chain will rub on the saw.

Mark

Here is the bar that was on the Super 250 witch has the same mount pattern as the long one, on top of a Stihl bar. The pic is kind of blurry but you should be able to see the Mac bar is about an 1/8th"sh smaller than the Stihl bar slot.

thanks for the pics brian,, it seems the stihl bar is teh closest, modern bar fit,,, it even looks like teh oil holes line up,,, correct? i think making a spacer for the difference in bolt diameter will be pretty easy,,,
thats the bar you used, right mark??

Brian, the first image that you labled "large saws" is the bar pattern that fits the 10 Series, 600 Series, and Titan/Double Eagle etc saw with the 5/16" stud. The second one is the small McCulloch "consumer" saws like the Power Mac (300) and Mini Mac saws.

It is relatively easy to file or mill the slots on a 10 Series bar to allow it to work on the larger saws, but many of those bars are too "thin" and need spacers or the chain will rub on the saw.

Mark

Ok thanks Mark, Acres doesnt have one for the large saws then.

thanks for the pics brian,, it seems the stihl bar is teh closest, modern bar fit,,, it even looks like teh oil holes line up,,, correct? i think making a spacer for the difference in bolt diameter will be pretty easy,,,
thats the bar you used, right mark??

The oil holes match up almost perfectly for the Stihl.

Just went and measured the bar slot on the bar for the Super 250 and its 10mm.
According to Acres the Jornsered bars are 10mm too but I dont know if the oil holes will match.

Brian, The bar slots on a 250 should be 3/8,
10mm would be a bit loose.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I just went and remeasured in a few different spots and got anywhere from 9.43 to 10mm. Bar has seen some use in its day and the slot has some variances. That would make the Husky pretty close then.

Thanks Lee, I just went and remeasured in a few different spots and got anywhere from 9.43 to 10mm. Bar has seen some use in its day and the slot has some variances. That would make the Husky pretty close then.

how do the oil holes compare with the husky? do the jonsereds and huskys use teh same bar?

Back