McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, if you make it down for the November GTG I will show you a couple of nice Power Mac 6's, one even has the original bannana style handle.

attachment.php

Mark, you need a Chiquita Bannana sticker on that saw.;)

The guy that sold me that saw had maybe a dozen more in various editions and swore they were the best bucket saw ever made.

Mark

It just might be a tad bit difficult to get arborists to trade in their MS-200T saws for a Power Mac 6. One would probably get negged off of AS for even suggesting such a blasphemous idea. :D

McCulloch had a Model 6, 6A, & 6C. I have not seen any reference to a model 6B while trying to determine what stray parts I have fit what particular saws, but then I wasn't really looking to see if there was such a model. It would be nice to have a master guide that would list the actual differences between all of the variations of all McCulloch saws ever built. That would have to be one big fat book.

McCulloch produced a Handle Strap Kit, P/N 68853, as an afterthought:
"The handle strap in this kit is designed for installation on the Power Mac 6 saw between the lower end of the side handle and the underside of the fan housing. Its purpose is to prevent possibility of the side handle snagging in tree branches, undergrowth, etc., when carrying the saw on a rope sling. It is especially designed for convenience in limbing, pruning and tree surgery."
:greenchainsaw:

Those are not such a pain to fix as you don't have to gut the entire saw. Fuel lines are a common problem

Looks like I have to take the two outer housing halves apart on that EB 2014 to replace the two fuel lines going to the tank huh?

Last edited:
The flywheel side and flywheel, and it should slide out. Clean it out well when you are in there, but you know that mang.

The flywheel side and flywheel, and it should slide out. Clean it out well when you are in there, but you know that mang.

Okay I am down to the flywheel but what is best way to get it off? Usually I can take out the prawls or threads are provided but I dont see anyway to hook up a puller?

:chainsaw: (holy crap is this thing packed with oily sawdust) :chainsaw:

I am not responsible if you screw this up. Turn the nut back on until the nut is flush on the threads, hold the saw above the bench about an inch, and rap the nut sharply with a hammer, preferably brass or the hard plastic one while holding onto the flywheel. Theres no place to pry on this turtles shell. As long as the nut is flush you won't screw up the threads and if you leave the nut up too high you will screw up the threads, so get it right the first time. I've used a ball-peen when handy or lazy, now I got the little thread on thingys you hit instead of the nut.

I have a few somewhat reliable witnesses as to my whereabouts Saturday, and I wasn't in Pine wherever. Consider the price, purchase location, type and model of saw, the picture may be fuzzy, but with my secret decoder glasses, I understand it pretty well.

I have a few somewhat reliable witnesses as to my whereabouts Saturday, and I wasn't in Pine wherever. Consider the price, purchase location, type and model of saw, the picture may be fuzzy, but with my secret decoder glasses, I understand it pretty well.

going out to bonk off the flywheel right now!

I am not responsible if you screw this up. Turn the nut back on until the nut is flush on the threads, hold the saw above the bench about an inch, and rap the nut sharply with a hammer, preferably brass or the hard plastic one while holding onto the flywheel. Theres no place to pry on this turtles shell. As long as the nut is flush you won't screw up the threads and if you leave the nut up too high you will screw up the threads, so get it right the first time. I've used a ball-peen when handy or lazy, now I got the little thread on thingys you hit instead of the nut.

Your the man! :cheers:

Two hits with a hammer on a copper barstock chunk and off it popped. :rockn:

Wow is it dirty in there...

attachment.php

Have you peeked at the cylinder or checked compression? Hate to see all this work and brake cleaner go for naught-wouldn't surprise me a bit if the piston is toasted by your picture. BTW, I'm even better than I thought...almost a legend in my own mind.

Have you peeked at the cylinder or checked compression? Hate to see all this work and brake cleaner go for naught-wouldn't surprise me a bit if the piston is toasted by your picture. BTW, I'm even better than I thought...almost a legend in my own mind.

:agree2:

I didn't check compression but I removed muffler and peeked in through the port and the spark plug hole. Looks good, no piston scrape marks...

It did start up and run and for a little bit it even sounded good so I am thinking it is primarily a fuel delivery problem. Crap confirmed in the carb, fuel lines are hard (I have new line in the tank already), primer doesn't work...I figure $5 for the primer, $8 for the carb kit, an hour or so with some simple green and we will see what we get!

Need to get dad's hammer screwdriver in order to get the clutch side case bolts off. I figured i'm this far in might as well get the last four bolts out and really clean'er up good.

:greenchainsaw:

Stubborn 2014 bolts

It took some doing but I finally got the four case bolts out to remove the engine. They must really not want you to do that...

Lost the stupid little foam disk filter over the duckbill in the oil tank when I was cleaning it :chainsaw:

I'm so far into this thing now that if I had a piston ring I could make it a new saw...:cheers:

Last edited:
Aahhhhhh!

DANG IT!!!
I just missed out on a running Super 250 that looked to be in decent shape for 60 bucks on Craigslist.:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: I got the classic "I just sold it a few minutes ago" :mad::mad::mad:
Sorry, just had to vent. :cheers:

Sorry about that Jim, if you had a good one you could use it as a guide on the project saw you have in the waiting...by the way, did you have a look at manyhobbies PM 800 thread? I found a note in some McCulloch service bulletins that talked about the PM 800 being an improved version of the PM 850, more HP, faster cutting, other improvements. Thought you should know.

eccentric, I have been messing with the 550 a little bit this week, I found the check valve in the primer was stuck, took care of that and now the primer works fine and the saw normally starts in one or two pulls. I hope to take it to mweba's tomorrow and do a little cutting to make sure everythings is working properly. After that its just a matter of draining the fluids, removing the bar and chain for shipping, and getting it packed and ready to go.

I have a 1-70 as a basis for a project for JJ that needs to get boxed up as well, hopefully I will have a little time in the next few days to try to get a few things caught up around here.

And "To Whom It May Concern" that sent me the message about the CL McCulloch saws in Jordan, MN, the SP 60 has arrived and will get a check out in the wood tomorrow. I think it was Wendell but I don't remember for sure.

Mark

Sorry about that Jim, if you had a good one you could use it as a guide on the project saw you have in the waiting...by the way, did you have a look at manyhobbies PM 800 thread? I found a note in some McCulloch service bulletins that talked about the PM 800 being an improved version of the PM 850, more HP, faster cutting, other improvements. Thought you should know.
Mark

Mark, thanks for the pointer! Somehow that PM800 thread slipped under my radar. Good info there.
Yeah, I've got a good S250 now, I guess I shouldn't get greedy :D

Dirty Beaver

Any suggestions on how to clean this up without getting crap inside the engine? I have the carb kit, the primer, most everything is clean, new fuel lines but the engine is so dirty...:chainsaw:

I thought about putting duct tape over the openings, cleaning with simple green then flooding it with fuel mix just to rinse out anything the snuk under the tape...

ZAMA carb kit for eager beaver 2014

and why do I have two diaphragms? One is shiny feels like film negative, the other is rubbery feels "normal". Do I just use the rubbery one and throw the other one away?

attachment.php

Back