Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 306 is one of my favorite saws to cut with. Yours is mighty clean. I wish air filters were available for these.

I have a few of these air filters and no the mac gasket won't work.

Mark. I've changed these 306 tank lines with some special pliers that I made because I got sick of ripping the gaskets. I lost the pliers in my garage fire though.:cry: Just saying it can be done. I used the same pliers on the big pioneers too (P65 and such)

I have a few of these air filters and no the mac gasket won't work.

Mark. I've changed these 306 tank lines with some special pliers that I made because I got sick of ripping the gaskets. I lost the pliers in my garage fire though.:cry: Just saying it can be done. I used the same pliers on the big pioneers too (P65 and such)

Yeah it can be done but it sure aint easy!! I like to use a smaller line for the pickup line so its more flexable and that knob on the fitting makes it hard to get that line on.

I have had pretty good luck if the gasket don't tear by coating it with Hylomar before reinstalling it.

I got lucky and got some new ones from Poulan a while back and have some on order as we speak, but I'm not sure if I'll get them or not this time.

Yeah it can be done but it sure aint easy!! I like to use a smaller line for the pickup line so its more flexable and that knob on the fitting makes it hard to get that line on.

I have had pretty good luck if the gasket don't tear by coating it with Hylomar before reinstalling it.

I got lucky and got some new ones from Poulan a while back and have some on order as we speak, but I'm not sure if I'll get them or not this time.

I've even made this gasket out of cork material let me tell you that it was'nt fun to cut a cork gasket this thin!:dizzy: Heck, I've used coated wire off of a trailer four prong plug before. Easy and it did'nt leak!:clap:

I've even made this gasket out of cork material let me tell you that it was'nt fun to cut a cork gasket this thin!:dizzy: Heck, I've used coated wire off of a trailer four prong plug before. Easy and it did'nt leak!:clap:

Yeah cutting that cork is rough when your trying to cut a piece that thin.

Some O ring material would work if you could glue/melt the ends together maybe?

Yeah cutting that cork is rough when your trying to cut a piece that thin.

Some O ring material would work if you could glue/melt the ends together maybe?

What I do is remove the top cover on the gas tank and clean out the groove that the cork seal fits in. Then I fill that groove, just shy of level, with the grey motoseal. I let it completely dry over night before putting the top cover back on. Then you have a permanent seal that allows you to remove the top cover and replace it without having to redo the seal. It's kinda like creating an o-ring seal.

poulans1.jpg

poulans2.jpg

poulans3.jpg

poulans5.jpg

poulans7.jpg

poulans8.jpg

poulans9.jpg

What I do is remove the top cover on the gas tank and clean out the groove that the cork seal fits in. Then I fill that groove, just shy of level, with the grey motoseal. I let it completely dry over night before putting the top cover back on. Then you have a permanent seal that allows you to remove the top cover and replace it without having to redo the seal. It's kinda like creating an o-ring seal.

I have thought about doing that myself but didnt know what to use that would stand the gas.

I'm not up with the motoseal, what is it and where do you get it?

Yeah I will try it sometime, most all of mine are done right now though.

One thing to remember on the 306/245 saws is that sometimes a gasket is needed on the support around the center bolt. Fuel will sometimes make it up and leak around the screw head.

I use a piece of cork that comes from the center of the new gasket, cut it just a little bigger then the center support with a hole in the center for the screw to go through.

Seals it up good that way.

Back