Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P41 Clutch

I just got my first chainsaw. Its a P41H with 20" bar. I'm not a collector or anything just needed something to cut 6x6's for a landscaping project. Picked it up for $60. It was bogging down quite a bit on throttle. I adjust the high speed mix and it is doing better. Still think it needs a carb kit but is getting the job done at 90% power for now. Maybe when I am done the landscaping project I will pick up a kit and re-build the carb. Do you have to take the whole saw apart to get the carb off? Kinda looks like it...

The clutch is also gone on this old saw. The chain is moving as soon as the engine starts. I have to keep the idle set higher as a result. I would like to fix that but it seems that getting a replacement clutch could be very difficult. Are there a number of Pioneer saws that used the same clutch? Maybe that would help me expand my search and yield some better luck finding the parts. Is it possible to re-build the clutch or repair the one I have? Don't know much about these things but I can see how tinkering with them can get a bit addictive...

I just got my first chainsaw. Its a P41H with 20" bar. I'm not a collector or anything just needed something to cut 6x6's for a landscaping project. Picked it up for $60. It was bogging down quite a bit on throttle. I adjust the high speed mix and it is doing better. Still think it needs a carb kit but is getting the job done at 90% power for now. Maybe when I am done the landscaping project I will pick up a kit and re-build the carb. Do you have to take the whole saw apart to get the carb off? Kinda looks like it...

The clutch is also gone on this old saw. The chain is moving as soon as the engine starts. I have to keep the idle set higher as a result. I would like to fix that but it seems that getting a replacement clutch could be very difficult. Are there a number of Pioneer saws that used the same clutch? Maybe that would help me expand my search and yield some better luck finding the parts. Is it possible to re-build the clutch or repair the one I have? Don't know much about these things but I can see how tinkering with them can get a bit addictive...

It is not that hard to get the carb off. It is very well exposed on the P41. If I remember right, you can get it out without taking the cover off. If it is idling fine, it is probably OK.

The clutches are getting harder to find. They interchange with P50 series and P60 series saws. Usually the spring breaks, and then everything goes south in there. These saws have a splined crank, so the clutch is a bit unique. There are lots of junk P40 series saws around, so if you can find one with a good clutch you can pick up a parts saw.

You should be able to get to the carb taking the air filter off. I've only worked on bigger pioneers and they all appear to be basically the same. A carb kit and a good cleaning are usually in order for these older saws. The clutch bearing might be dry and stuck to the shaft which would cause that problem. Petesoldsaw posted 3 posts up and in the bottom of his signature is a link to IPLs and manuals for your saw, thanks to a few kind members here. A little further up on this page DSS posted a link to rottmans which still sells some pioneer parts if you need any.
Good luck, Kevin

Looks like I just inherited a Pioneer/Partner P39.....A fellow brought it to me to do lines and a carb kit, but I discovered another problem with the saw.....It's sucking chain oil from somewhere. It's a real skeeter killer.....:laugh:

The guy didn't want to spend any more on the saw, so I took it on trade......Is there a common place for these saws to let chain oil into the crankcase???.......I want to save the old girl if it's not too major.

Looks like I just inherited a Pioneer/Partner P39.....A fellow brought it to me to do lines and a carb kit, but I discovered another problem with the saw.....It's sucking chain oil from somewhere. It's a real skeeter killer.....:laugh:

The guy didn't want to spend any more on the saw, so I took it on trade......Is there a common place for these saws to let chain oil into the crankcase???.......I want to save the old girl if it's not too major.

There is a partition between the gas and oil tanks where there is a glued in patch which has a habit of coming unglued. Look for it inside near the top of the tanks. If its not that patch coming loose then it would be the case gasket.

There is a partition between the gas and oil tanks where there is a glued in patch which has a habit of coming unglued. Look for it inside near the top of the tanks. If its not that patch coming loose then it would be the case gasket.

Jerry......You are da man!!!

I just went and looked in the gas tank, and guess what's actually laying in the bottom of the tank!?!.......That partition!!

What a bizarre idea that was!!:bang:.......Have you ever glued one back in??

The service manual doesn't do a very good job of describing how to get the clutch off. Seems the problem might be the bearings for sure. I don't have the piston stop tool so I stuffed the cylinder full of nylon rope. I can get the 9/16" nut off but that's about as far as I can get. Can't get the clutch spider to spin off thje spindle. How hard should I torque on it before I should worry about breaking something (ie. Piston rod)?

Jerry......You are da man!!!

I just went and looked in the gas tank, and guess what's actually laying in the bottom of the tank!?!.......That partition!!

What a bizarre idea that was!!:bang:.......Have you ever glued one back in??

A good many of them actually. Honda Bond and the other stuff like it and Devcon liquid aluminum will hold that patch very well.

The service manual doesn't do a very good job of describing how to get the clutch off. Seems the problem might be the bearings for sure. I don't have the piston stop tool so I stuffed the cylinder full of nylon rope. I can get the 9/16" nut off but that's about as far as I can get. Can't get the clutch spider to spin off thje spindle. How hard should I torque on it before I should worry about breaking something (ie. Piston rod)?

Don't twist it. The clutch itself isn't threaded, it just slips on to a spline. If it won't just slide off, give it a tap with a rubber hammer or some such tool.

The clutch is splined to the crank and needs a puller to pull it off the crank.

pioneer P-52 gas cap help!!

The plastic gas lid/cap on my Pioneer P-52 has swollen to the point where it will Not screw into the tank. Does anyone know of a gas cap that will fit this saw? (cross reference to another brand that is the same size?) The saw runs great but I cannot use it without a gas cap!!
Thanks for any information that can be provided,

The plastic gas lid/cap on my Pioneer P-52 has swollen to the point where it will Not screw into the tank. Does anyone know of a gas cap that will fit this saw? (cross reference to another brand that is the same size?) The saw runs great but I cannot use it without a gas cap!!

A cap from any of the Pioneer saws from the orange Farmsaw on up through the P40,P50 and P60 series will fit your saw.

Poulan 655, 525, 455 Still available, same cap

partition between the gas and oil tanks

Quote Originally Posted by jockeydeuce View Post
Looks like I just inherited a Pioneer/Partner P39.....A fellow brought it to me to do lines and a carb kit, but I discovered another problem with the saw.....It's sucking chain oil from somewhere. It's a real skeeter killer.....

A good many of them actually. Honda Bond and the other stuff like it and Devcon liquid aluminum will hold that patch very well.

Hi Guys. I ran into the same problem a few pages back.(394,397) on my Poulan Pro455 (Pioneer based,72cc)
I ended up using JB Weld for the second time fix. Two layers on both sides of the clean plate and really clean tank. It is up and running again with no leaks. Hopefully for good.
Paul

P42 HP question...

Question...
Do you any of you Pioneer guru's know if P42 HP is a boost port saw, or does it have the regular cylinder?

Thanks in advance,
Brian and Tina

Back