whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whata Deal!

OK, I will, your dumb for that. I paid 20bucks at a garage sale for ramps with a 1500lb,on each one, solid steel and they fold.
Happy now!!

I'd say you got a great deal on those ramps. I'll admit that $900 for two Magliner ramps was a hard pill to swallow, but it was the best price I could find for the ramps I wanted. Besides being able to load my dump truck using them, I also use them to re-deck my aluminum flatbed trailer for transport.

Ok, AA.

I'll give you credit for buying everyone lunch, not tearing up turf (as long as you stop dragin chunks of wood), and staying busy on decent jobsites and keeping people happy.

NOW STOP POSTING PICS OF THE LAWN MOWER!! ;) DEAL??

Show us some more pics and vids of tree work, if the steiner is a small part of that, fine, but stop the madness of showcasing it.

Why yes Blakesmaster, yes I do ...

Actually, your ramps are the only piece of equipment you own, that I would want. Well...besides the minvan. That thing is badass! Seriously though, AA. C'mon. The Steiner. You REALLY think that was worth the investment? .. .

The Magliner ramps were expensive, but worth it, like a lot of things in life. Apple Computers for example. And yes, I really do think the Steiner was worth every penny I paid for it and more. I can afford it, and when I want a Dingo or wheel loader I'll get it, I can afford to get whatever I want. What is everyone's problem with how I spend my money?

For my tree service business, with the demographic of the clients I seek, the Steiner fits in nicely. I can always rent a skid steer or any other heavy equipment I need for any particular job. The Steiner I can use on almost every job. It's the versatility that I am paying for. Besides, it's a blast to drive! We've been having a lot of fun with it. Every man on my crew wants a turn at driving it. It's a big morale boost for the guys that have been humping logs into the dump truck for four years for me, and hauling brush to the chipper, and dragging tarps of raking debris or even setting up our gear (as well as bringing it back).

As for the mini van, I love the AWD Safaris, (I've got two), but my business and gear has outgrown them. I have a one ton 3500 GMC van that I am preparing to be my work van. I want something that can pull the chipper. My wife's Chevy Colorado (she wanted a VW Bug in yellow) can pull the tractor on the aluminum flatbed I bought, but I wouldn't trust it to pull the chipper. The new van will.

Here's why I bought the Magliner ramps:

[video=youtube;xHHrjUcgsB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHrjUcgsB4[/video]

Last edited:
Well folks been steady hauling this week 6 am till 1:00 pm looks like tomorrow is the last of the original bid. At 1:00 pm the guys quit I could keep going but it really is smarter to shut down. Its 115 index 103 actual. They are calling it Africa hot lol and I would say it prolly is. It has been one hot mf in summer for sure here. Even so were hauling 3 hundred cubic yards or better of debris each day 4 to five dump truck loads and 2 to 3 Mack loads packed lol. I sold more hauling from the previous tree service who did the front three acres so; it should pad a bit better profit, though; nothing like yall seen to make:laugh: I sold five k more work this week and my Golf courses are squaking too lol. Even splitting the jobs with the other tree service who splits his work too! We seem to stay back logged and doing a good living now and is easier not having to do it myself. I only hope it stays somewhat steady except for two weeks in late October lol. We did not have a steiner aa we had a case dozer, case skid steer , Mack Grapple,Whisper chipper for the stray limbs easier to chip than haul and my bucket to trim a few damaged trees. All in all about ninety trees cut and hauled in six half days not too bad from and old coot and some decent help huh?

Here's the tree I had to take down today...

Ok, AA. I'll give you credit for buying everyone lunch, not tearing up turf (as long as you stop dragin chunks of wood), and staying busy on decent jobsites and keeping people happy. NOW STOP POSTING PICS OF THE LAWN MOWER!! ;) DEAL??

Show us some more pics and vids of tree work, if the steiner is a small part of that, fine, but stop the madness of showcasing it.

The madness is all the vituperative comments I have gotten over the the Steiner, when those stop you will have your deal. But seriously, it is crapping up this thread which is "What did you do today" so here is the first cut of the video I made of my work today. The tree must be climbed and dismantled from the top down because just dropping it or pulling it over with my dump truck is not an option. It's not a big tree but small ones can kill you just as dead as big ones.

So, what do the experts here recommend for a tree in this condition. Would you climb it? The video above shows me loading it into the truck, so obviously I successfully dismantled it by climbing it as I said was needed. How much would you charge to climb this tree? My price for the risk I took in doing so was $2000. Whada ya think?

[video=youtube;oU-lD9r8eLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-lD9r8eLc[/video]

It was a good day. It was a bad day. Then it was a very bad day. One hell of a storm rolled in this morning. The damage is widespread, and the phone rang off the hook. I didnt even make it out of my own nieghborhood till after noon. Then I drove all over chasing #### down. This is a very bad time to be without a chiptruck. Then I found out the leafspring is broke on my trailer. Then while driving to what was supposed to be the last estimate, at around 7pm, my pick-up died. No clue whats wrong with it.:cry:

It was a good day. It was a bad day. Then it was a very bad day. One hell of a storm rolled in this morning. The damage is widespread, and the phone rang off the hook. I didnt even make it out of my own nieghborhood till after noon. Then I drove all over chasing #### down. This is a very bad time to be without a chiptruck. Then I found out the leafspring is broke on my trailer. Then while driving to what was supposed to be the last estimate, at around 7pm, my pick-up died. No clue whats wrong with it.:cry:

Dang!
Jeff

Here's the full video of what I did today ...

Hot off the presses I've just uploaded the whole show, so here it is, "An Extremely Dangerous Tree":

[video=youtube;eMKSiehKb4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKSiehKb4s[/video]

Naturally the cameras battery ran out of juice right as I was ready to take the top out, as you all know the most dangerous part of getting that one on the ground. Please remember that I made the video to justify my high prices for trees like that. In actuality it was a piece of cake, I didn't spend half an hour in the tree. The customer listened to my opening comments in the video and she was really scared for me, she said she'd pray for me and although it was over before she could finish her Hail Mary's, she didn't balk and paying me $2k for it. That's $4k an hour!

Well Jeff the truth is ... $2k

Dang AA! You got to tell us that you are just messing with us! Please! BTW, I doubt you got more than $499 for that tree! Hope you stick around, but don't BS.
Jeff :msp_mellow:

I included pesticide treatment (for the Ants) of her home and surrounding trees and outbuildings. I have hired a licenced and certified pesticide applicator, a former Terminex employee. So now I offer perimeter spraying when insect infestation is an issue.

Along with stump grinding it's a great new profit center for me, and it's almost all profit. A couple of cheap pump up sprayers and a relatively inexpensive concentrate that only can be bought by a certified license holder. We're destroying and removing two ant hills for a client who we did a removal for earlier in the week.

The madness is all the vituperative comments I have gotten over the the Steiner, when those stop you will have your deal. But seriously, it is crapping up this thread which is "What did you do today" so here is the first cut of the video I made of my work today. The tree must be climbed and dismantled from the top down because just dropping it or pulling it over with my dump truck is not an option. It's not a big tree but small ones can kill you just as dead as big ones.

So, what do the experts here recommend for a tree in this condition. Would you climb it? The video above shows me loading it into the truck, so obviously I successfully dismantled it by climbing it as I said was needed. How much would you charge to climb this tree? My price for the risk I took in doing so was $2000. Whada ya think?

[video=youtube;oU-lD9r8eLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-lD9r8eLc[/video]

Well hardly an expert yet but hmmm possibly some reduction,mulch and monitoring:) Anyway 2k for that is ridiculous three to five hundy here with stump tops. That is two hours from roll up to roll out tops including stump for us.

This tree was 1250.00 here pard:)

badone_001.jpg

badone_007.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just a good salesman...

Well hardly an expert yet but hmmm possibly some reduction,mulch and monitoring:) Anyway 2k for that is ridiculous three to five hundy here with stump tops. That is two hours from roll up to roll out tops including stump for us.... This tree was 1250.00 here pard:)

I'm in this game to make money and I charge what the market will bear. Call Teminex and get a quote for a whole house perimeter spraying and you can see how I justified my $2k fee. Grinding the stump was extra and the customer elected to go with a flush cut.

Why did you HAVE to climb that tree? It looked like a notch and drop to me and a wide open LZ with no need for a truck to pull. How about using a picket anchor or a longer line and a 5:1, hell even two guys and a hand line or a John Deer riding lawn mower.

Latest posts

Back