whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some storm work to get done today but I think its going to be a rain day. I am booked up for two weeks too. Its been a great year so far! I am going to a hazardous tree and felling work shop next week, should be fun and I should learn somthing.

The madness is all the vituperative comments I have gotten over the the Steiner, when those stop you will have your deal. But seriously, it is crapping up this thread which is "What did you do today" so here is the first cut of the video I made of my work today. The tree must be climbed and dismantled from the top down because just dropping it or pulling it over with my dump truck is not an option. It's not a big tree but small ones can kill you just as dead as big ones.

So, what do the experts here recommend for a tree in this condition. Would you climb it? The video above shows me loading it into the truck, so obviously I successfully dismantled it by climbing it as I said was needed. How much would you charge to climb this tree? My price for the risk I took in doing so was $2000. Whada ya think?

I'll accept that's your point of view. I'm sure it would be maddening to have almost everyone ridicule your prize possession like that in a forum of peers, but maybe there is a reason for that which you might consider accepting, however offensive it feels. Also for your consideration, would be that it might be the opinion of many that the constant showcasing of the steiner is "off topic" and equally vituperative. One begets the other.

The Magliner ramps were expensive, but worth it, like a lot of things in life. Apple Computers for example. And yes, I really do think the Steiner was worth every penny I paid for it and more. I can afford it, and when I want a Dingo or wheel loader I'll get it, I can afford to get whatever I want. What is everyone's problem with how I spend my money?

For my tree service business, with the demographic of the clients I seek, the Steiner fits in nicely. I can always rent a skid steer or any other heavy equipment I need for any particular job. The Steiner I can use on almost every job. It's the versatility that I am paying for. Besides, it's a blast to drive! We've been having a lot of fun with it. Every man on my crew wants a turn at driving it. It's a big morale boost for the guys that have been humping logs into the dump truck for four years for me, and hauling brush to the chipper, and dragging tarps of raking debris or even setting up our gear (as well as bringing it back).

As for the mini van, I love the AWD Safaris, (I've got two), but my business and gear has outgrown them. I have a one ton 3500 GMC van that I am preparing to be my work van. I want something that can pull the chipper. My wife's Chevy Colorado (she wanted a VW Bug in yellow) can pull the tractor on the aluminum flatbed I bought, but I wouldn't trust it to pull the chipper. The new van will.

Here's why I bought the Magliner ramps:

[video=youtube;xHHrjUcgsB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHrjUcgsB4[/video]

Why pick up those little logs and put in the bucket it seems like a waste of time and fuel.

Let's just talk about what we did today in this thread ...

I'll accept that's your point of view. I'm sure it would be maddening to have almost everyone ridicule your prize possession like that in a forum of peers, but maybe there is a reason for that which you might consider accepting, however offensive it feels. Also for your consideration, would be that it might be the opinion of many that the constant showcasing of the steiner is "off topic" and equally vituperative. One begets the other.

The Steiner is by no means my "Prize Possession", it's just a versatile tool I have added to my bag of tricks. I agree that arguing about my tractor in this thread is way off topic and maybe I'll start a thread about it to lure all the haters away from this thread.

It was a test...

Why pick up those little logs and put in the bucket it seems like a waste of time and fuel.

Yes it was a bit over the top to manhandle those ramps into the dump just for those logs, most of the big ones were hollow anyway and I could have picked them up myself. The reason I did it was to be part of the promotional movie I was making of that job, and it was the first time I used them for that and I wanted to try it out with a light load before I really loaded up the tractor with heavy stuff to take up the ramps.

The Steiner is by no means my "Prize Possession", it's just a versatile tool I have added to my bag of tricks. I agree that arguing about my tractor in this thread is way off topic and maybe I'll start a thread about it to lure all the haters away from this thread.

Don't minimize it now...too late for that. ;) A thread dedicated to the steiner is a swell idea, maybe you can start a poll to put it in perspective. I don't think anyone "hates" the steiner, or you. It's simply a strongly worded critique of application that's slowly gotten out of hand, you own a part in that.

This will be kinda an off week for me. I have the grandparents coming in from yuma to visit their siblings, and sadly enough one of grandma's sisters didn't hold on. So a visit is now also a funeral. That's got to be rough, but we'll make the most of it by having the kids on hand to visit with when they have the time to help offset a tough trip. I'd like to see them too, they were like parents and I learned my lesson from taking my great grandparents for granted. (thought they'd live forever) I'll be postponing larger projects to be flexible to their schedule. Grandpa's happy to see us off and running with the biz this year, he ground stumps with a guy we farmed with when the dutch elm disease came through years ago.

When I get my behemoth stumper I'm going to name it "Eugene" in his honor, but that also has some Floydian notes to it as well.

I was on standby to run to indy airport to see them through if my cousin couldn't make it so I caught up on some estimates and sold some work. My city bid bit the dust last night. Two 90+ cottonwoods with a small dz, about 5’ dbh. The lowest bid was what I wanted to clear...lol. I told the super thanks for the invite to bid, and admitted that I was likely not going to be the cheapest, and that those would never be my intentions. I want to do the best job possible and be profitable. Doubt I get called up again, so be it.

Looked at a small removal that a HO was quoted 1600 for by some local treetarded turd. Apparently, we have some highballin hacks as well. A 30ft pine I'll have down and gone in an hour and a few dead branches, storm damage, and hangers in a pin oak, about a half hour. Good job for this week.

Then I headed out to look a place over for the landlord's friend. (I need to start sending him a commission check) It's a few miles away from a confirmed emerald ash borer discovery and half the yard is Ash, I'll be looking for the little boogers while I raise the canopy a bit on everything and remove a medium sized ash. I'm leaving the firewood and burning the chips.

I have a few more estimates to do this evening and then I should be caught up enough for now. I’ll hit it hard next week.

Finally an easy day ...

We went to a job I bid some time ago with two medium Maple's and a small Chinese Maple in the front, as well as a small tree on the side yard. Nothing major to come out of any of them and it was quite enjoyable to work in the Maples needing nothing more than hand snippers and my climbing Silky. I towed the chipper but we didn't have anything big enough to bother starting it. We really took our time with everything and still were done in under four hours. I had bid the job at $1300, (which even I thought was high) but offered the HO's a $100 off to go have dinner on me. They were so happy with the results that they refused the offer and want me back to do the back yard for the same money. I'm home early for once.

Lol yup got to have thick skin here or be ready for a hard roe to hoe. Its been a while since any ridicule of myself lol and the ridicule I received was from mr wood holder who is too green to count lol:monkey:

Lol well there is the husky stihl thingy:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Should have just tried to get a crane for this piece.... wanted the work though.

I climbed and took off this much to open it up, then said F that, I'm going back for the bucket. Not a very good day, was very hot too.

attachment.php

so anyway. today for a laugh we brought up asite during the days work and i had dave watch a couple of your videos, aa. your 2k tree was such a tit tree that we decided that even 101 would've had zero problem with it. instead of dangerous tree you should have titled it "scared landscaper in easy tree".

and then again we laughed during lunch looking at more of your stuff but then after reading verbatim from your website i really and truly got pissed.

you are an outright liar. you are absolutely full of **** about what you lie to the people about who are just looking for honest work. i got so f'n pissed i walked away to sharpen my saw.

you pos. you do not have decades of experience in the game and you did not put in time with the better tree companies in your area to learn from. if you did, you would not be the sorry sack of ball juice you are. you are nothing more than a 1 yr climber at most. at best!! if you did learn from the grizzled you would know your steiner and mag ramps are not the way to handle move wood or that a minivan is the right tool for the job. every one of your movies show how green you are. all excited about a butt cutt with ants in it? "the only danger you had in that job was for an ant potentially sneaking up your pants and biting your balls...." to quote a friend.

you fink. you rat. you liar.

and in no way shape or form are you anyone's peer here. that is also another lie and i can only hope you start to admit to your lies.

i wished i lived and worked out that way. i can only imagine the near deaths and total chicanery that goes on on your sites.

you are a swindler. i bet it was some poor old elderly lady you pulled the wool over her eyes to sell her on a sapling with some ants in it.

so anyway. today for a laugh we brought up asite during the days work and i had dave watch a couple of your videos, aa. your 2k tree was such a tit tree that we decided that even 101 would've had zero problem with it. instead of dangerous tree you should have titled it "scared landscaper in easy tree".

and then again we laughed during lunch looking at more of your stuff but then after reading verbatim from your website i really and truly got pissed.

you are an outright liar. you are absolutely full of **** about what you lie to the people about who are just looking for honest work. i got so f'n pissed i walked away to sharpen my saw.

you pos. you do not have decades of experience in the game and you did not put in time with the better tree companies in your area to learn from. if you did, you would not be the sorry sack of ball juice you are. you are nothing more than a 1 yr climber at most. at best!! if you did learn from the grizzled you would know your steiner and mag ramps are not the way to handle move wood or that a minivan is the right tool for the job. every one of your movies show how green you are. all excited about a butt cutt with ants in it? "the only danger you had in that job was for an ant potentially sneaking up your pants and biting your balls...." to quote a friend.

you fink. you rat. you liar.

and in no way shape or form are you anyone's peer here. that is also another lie and i can only hope you start to admit to your lies.

i wished i lived and worked out that way. i can only imagine the near deaths and total chicanery that goes on on your sites.

you are a swindler. i bet it was some poor old elderly lady you pulled the wool over her eyes to sell her on a sapling with some ants in it.

Wow dude really you talk about the site at lunch .........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa....... That may be the most pathetic thing that I have heard come outta your suck hole , GET A LIFE

Wow dude really you talk about the site at lunch .........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa....... That may be the most pathetic thing that I have heard come outta your suck hole , GET A LIFE
You are a loser ..... I mean really thats the saddest gayest thing , actually I am sorry about what I said to you this is all you got and I shouldn't have #### all over you on the one place where you mean something , sorry man really carry on ....

Hot off the presses I've just uploaded the whole show, so here it is, "An Extremely Dangerous Tree":

[video=youtube;eMKSiehKb4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKSiehKb4s[/video]

Naturally the cameras battery ran out of juice right as I was ready to take the top out, as you all know the most dangerous part of getting that one on the ground. Please remember that I made the video to justify my high prices for trees like that. In actuality it was a piece of cake, I didn't spend half an hour in the tree. The customer listened to my opening comments in the video and she was really scared for me, she said she'd pray for me and although it was over before she could finish her Hail Mary's, she didn't balk and paying me $2k for it. That's $4k an hour!

Dude you be ashamed of yourself ...... Wripping that poor person off for 2k , I mean really five hours I could of flopped that tree in about 40 minutes and been on the road in an hour .... Wow you must not have cut too many trees in your time ....

internet access is easy, fatandstupid. why not talk about treework while doing it. dude, you famous on my crew. whenever anyone has to hop in the back of the chip to take a dump it's referred to as taking a "buck tree". as in, "hang on, i gotta buck tree... you got any tp?" or " hop back in the back the truck and check out that buck tree i just took. thing is nasty."

how the lawns going this summer? getting plenty of water?

internet access is easy, fatandstupid. why not talk about treework while doing it. dude, you famous on my crew. whenever anyone has to hop in the back of the chip to take a dump it's referred to as taking a "buck tree". as in, "hang on, i gotta buck tree... you got any tp?" or " hop back in the back the truck and check out that buck tree i just took. thing is nasty."

how the lawns going this summer? getting plenty of water?

Again you and how many other losers talk about the site at lunch , and your that big of a scumbag that you #### in those beautiful trucks , yea dude you and the crew are a real class act .... You shouldn't talk anymore ... its sad .... What is really sad is that I could teach a new guy to do your job in about 6 months and your how old 33 pathetic a professional day laborer, because honestly you may have some of the dummies here fooled thinking setting a choker and drop and cut is a "skilled" labor position but I know better I graduated from that monkey job at 21 and you ripped someone off to be a college educated crane climber , Honestly your name never comes up in my life , because really what would be the point ... You have nothing to offer here and when your too old to work I am sure the name OLD DIRTY will be a short lived legacy of what?????????????? And since I am better than EVER working at a company like that I doubt that I could ever laugh right in your crackhead ,methmouthed face when you try to explain your significance to me .....

Well hardly an expert yet but hmmm possibly some reduction,mulch and monitoring:) Anyway 2k for that is ridiculous three to five hundy here with stump tops. That is two hours from roll up to roll out tops including stump for us.

This tree was 1250.00 here pard:)

badone_001.jpg

badone_007.jpg

Now THAT ...to me..is a freakn dangerous tree. How did you get the rest of it down Rope? Just looking at that photo made me feel alittle uneasy.

Latest posts

Back