what to do with ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to know that the reason often is that they want a reassuranse that they made a good choise - but the truth often is that they didn't.

Many don't want to say so, so I have to do it.

I am getting more unpopolar all the time because of this, but that won't stop me from saying the truth when needed!

Your not getting unpopular ole boy, we love ya as much as always. Far as the truth goes its you that needs to see the light. You take specs and chainsawing and try to turn it into some sort of science looking for any little thing to base one saw better than another. That non-sense does not apply in the real world, thats the factual truth. Most don't give a hoot in hell about saws period. Those that have to have one want it to do three things, start, cut wood and be able to get some service after the sale should they need it. There my man is why the 290 shines. It starts, its cuts wood and service for it is the same as though it was a 900.00 pro saw. You call them dumpster saws as though they don't last more than a year or so, that's BS. Just remember the biggest dumpster saw in the USA(Craftsman) is keeping your favorite outfit afloat at the moment,hehe

Now the proof. A 1995 039 that has cut 100's or cords of wood for the last 15years. Owner says give a go over, firewood season is here. I go no problem. A saw that will run 15 years is not dumpster material.

attachment.php

But a saw with a melted piston can still not have any air leaks......

I only bought the compression gauge for when I put carcasses on e-bay....

It is a number which the buyers can identify with, and makes them feel better.

Especially if the saw has a hard to look at exhaust port, or is a model prone to muffler bolts stripping out or breaking....

But a saw with a melted piston can still not have any air leaks......

I only bought the compression gauge for when I put carcasses on e-bay....

It is a number which the buyers can identify with, and makes them feel better.

Especially if the saw has a hard to look at exhaust port, or is a model prone to muffler bolts stripping out or breaking....

With a leak down tester it will show a helluva air leak out the exhaust and back through the intake. Such a saw with a fried cylinder would show 80-90%leaking under constant air pressure. Such a saw will not run nor even start. Remember Fish you do a leak down test with the piston TDC with air being forced in through the spark plug opening. If everything is good and tight hardly no air will get past the piston, rings and cylinder wall. The guage merely shows the % getting past if any..

Now Thall can spar with the best of them, he uses some "Tact" and
some style.

Being able to disagree and still be friends, or at least, friendly, is a desired trait........

Of course if we were all in the same bar, there might be a "killin"........

Unless Thall is buying table dances for the gang in Va. Beach..........

sorry, thought we were talking about crankcase pressure and vac testing.

You calling me somethin' big boy????!!!!!

I will have to start reading all of this ****, I guess..........

Thall, you have your name hidden from the gang on what you are reading, I see.....

A leak down tester is merely a guage where air pressure is pumped into the engine and the guage reads what % is leaking out the engine under constant air pressure. You can have a saw with a fine looking piston, rings and cylinder leaking 40% air which in turn tells you its not gonna run worth a dayumm or have much power. A compression gauge may show its got fine compression because that gauge is being pumped up, its not measuring whether the saw will hold compression, which is where it counts....

Thank you SIR!! That was very educational. And I appreciate the heck out of it. thanks for taking the time to explain. :yourock:

some style.

Being able to disagree and still be friends, or at least, friendly, is a desired trait........

very good Mr.Fish. I agree whole heartedly. Tact is a good thing.:agree2::cheers:

At least they stopped kickin' ole' Troll in the ribs...............

I am still a big "Instine"........

I will deflect a sour thread by talking about loose women, booze, or chickens, or all three.

The Llamas have lost their allure.......

I found out that their eyelashes were fake...............

Besides,

well, nevermind.............

Stihl 390

Hi all,
First post here so here it goes. I joined this site to educate myself about taking better care of my saws. Before, I would agree with THALL in saying I didn't care about the inner workings of a saw and all I wanted from one is to fuel it, start it (without breaking a sweat) and cut with it. My attitude changed since reading the posts on this site. As far as the 390, it's been a good saw, no complaints. Owned it for a few years and chopped alot of fire wood with it. Took down the modesto ash in my front yard all the way to the stump (30") without ever bogging down. Sure there are people out there that can't stand this model......but it's been great for me!

some style.

Hahaha, good one. Matter of fact its been awhile since I was down at Va Beach. I gotta get down there and see how much more the place has grown. The last time I could hardly find a parking spot, dayumm place was rocking and rolling.

Its never good to argue mean spirited. Shoot Sawtroll and me fuss at each other all the time, I enjoy it and I think he does too. As to who is right, thats a no brainer, I AM,LOLOL

I will have to start reading all of this ****, I guess..........

Thall, you have your name hidden from the gang on what you are reading, I see.....

I found it better to stay in the dark and read Fish. Sides when my green lite is on the neighbors complain,hahaha

sorry, thought we were talking about crankcase pressure and vac testing.

You calling me somethin' big boy????!!!!!

Nope I'm not calling you anything however, you can call me anything ya want cept late for supper,LOL

Yes the air/vac tests are very important, in fact most important with the leak down coming in second in my old humble opinion. The compression test is worthless and a waste of time. Its very easy to merely pull the rope to get a good idea of the compression. In fact here's a goodie.

Thursday guy calls me on the phone, says his MS650 won't start, I've tried everything he says. Goes it was running fine but now it won't start, can you give me some idea what to do over the phone. I said yup, bring it in here. 30 minutes later he brings in the saw. I pull the rope one time and go your done. He goes whatcha mean. I go its scored, has hardly no compression. He goes you sure, I just had it rebuilt. I go I'm sure but I'll prove it to ya to be safe. Pulled the muffler, piston cooked. He's like GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I go well don't be surprized, I told you it was done,LOLOLOL

Had a local dealer want me to sell his freshly rebuilt 064 on e-bay for him,
I told him I would take it home and fire it up.

Started OK, but was adjusted poorly, I adjusted it and cut a log or two.

Let it cool, took a look in the muffler, scratches galore.....

He didn't buff out the cylinder enough, I took it back, said he could get more locally...

If he didn't buff the cylinder enough, adjust the carb correctly, I knew he
didn't check for air leaks, or anything else.

P.S. I like staying in the dark, especially when I am watching the neighbors.....

I like seeing my name at the bottom of the page, at the top of the
"members online" list , it means that I am the most important/popular......

Hi all,
First post here so here it goes. I joined this site to educate myself about taking better care of my saws. Before, I would agree with THALL in saying I didn't care about the inner workings of a saw and all I wanted from one is to fuel it, start it (without breaking a sweat) and cut with it. My attitude changed since reading the posts on this site. As far as the 390, it's been a good saw, no complaints. Owned it for a few years and chopped alot of fire wood with it. Took down the modesto ash in my front yard all the way to the stump (30") without ever bogging down. Sure there are people out there that can't stand this model......but it's been great for me!

Congrats on your first post. IMO, a very,very fine one at that!! And IMO, you have a fine saw in your 390. You just explained what it could do, and that saw IMO, is all you would prolly ever need. I know its all i would ever need. However, I have CAD. :cry: But at any rate, congrats and welcome to AS!:cheers:

ST

WE GET IT! YOU DON'T LIKE STIHL SAWS!

Are you feeling okay? It seems like your posts lately have been a dumping ground!

You have some very good knowledge.............Let's see some of it.

The guy already owns the saw. Why put down a tool he enjoys using and found out that it was an easy fix?

Now.....I might understand if you were forced to own and use STIHL saws.

Using Stihl saws only would not be a problem at all, even though they aren't very often my choise - it is their cheaper saws that I don't like.

A lot of good can be said about German engineering, but ergononics is not their strongest side.

If you look, you will see that it is the same with the cheaper saws of other brands, with some variation accoding to the actual designs.

Latest posts

Back