what to do with ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using Stihl saws only would not be a problem at all, even though they aren't very often my choise - it is their cheaper saws that I don't like.

A lot of good can be said about German engineering, but ergononics is not their strongest side.

If you look, you will see that it is the same with the cheaper saws of other brands, with some variation accoding to the actual designs.

I would suspect that to the average homeowner ergonomics is just as insignificant as power-to-weight ratio. Sorry to hear that you don't like 'em. In the time it took to read this, another couple dozen went out the door somewhere. Must be junk.....

I think it's kind of funny the OP is out cuttin wood with his saw and we're still talking about wether it's junk or not.:dizzy:

I never meant to say that a 390 is junk when in order - but if one that has "gone bad" is worth fixing is another issue!
:givebeer:

No worries ST.I think all theses saws have a place.If I had a 390 and the jug was fried I wouldn't put the money in an oem cylinder,but I would do an aftermarket piston rering on one.If jug was fried I would probably put a 290 aftermarket on and sell it.I also wouldn't buy one new.

The one I had I had sold before I bought it or I wouldn't have bought it.I did try it with a 25" bar 3/8 chisel in a 26" red oak and I had to work lightly.But for my BIL cutting 2-3 cords a year with 20" bar it should be fine.

To me it was pretty comfortable and balanced well with the 20" GB bar.The av was a little mushy but I like a firm av.

agreed, buy the cheap meteor or gulf piston, cost 40 bucks, spend a hour honing and putting the saw back together pretty easy to do

Huh? Then why did you write "Typical dumpster candidate - not a very good saw! :censored:"?

Make up your :censored:ing mind.

LOLOL, he wrote it and he meant it. Sawtroll hates that series of saws, it not a secret. Course he's never used one. Must remember Howard Cosell never played football either but he was famous for mouthing off, both are armchair quarterbacks,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

LOLOL, he wrote it and he meant it. Sawtroll hates that series of saws, it not a secret. Course he's never used one. Must remember Howard Cosell never played football either but he was famous for mouthing off, both are armchair quarterbacks,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Saw Troll & Howard Cosell...interesting comparison :clap:.

In the early '70s through mid '80s, back when we got lots of boxing on free TV, I was a total boxing nut, actually tried to get a job with Ring Magazine. The major downside to watching boxing on ABC was having to listen to Cosell, and, yes, he was just as opionated as a football announcer. If opinions are like :censored:s, Cosell must've had a really huge :censored:.

Latest posts

Back