whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking trucks MDS!

Roped about a 1200 pound top out of a large pine yesterday. Groundy did not let it run at all... Jerked me out of my spikes... My forearms look like ground hamburger today... I hired another groundy this morning with rope experience. Something had to give.

Thanks md!

Were you using a pulley and porty on that top?

Yep, porty and pulley. I was trying to keep it off of a dogwood, that's the only reason I roped it. I wanted my groundy to just let it fly once it came over but we miscommunicated. Plus we are getting used to using the porty. Not the groundys fault at all. He is a little green but he's a hard worker. He is still with me, I just hired another guy who is more experienced at rope work.

Been awhile since I have worked in large pines. I forget how heavy those suckers are.

They don't call me MDS for nothing son! :laugh:

Please, don't let it go to your head. It looks like asplundh and davey meet up for a coffee break with a stolen chipper .That second hand gear could still use a bit of color coordination.

Last edited:
Yep, porty and pulley. I was trying to keep it off of a dogwood, that's the only reason I roped it. I wanted my groundy to just let it fly once it came over but we miscommunicated. Plus we are getting used to using the porty. Not the groundys fault at all. He is a little green but he's a hard worker. He is still with me, I just hired another guy who is more experienced at rope work.

Been awhile since I have worked in large pines. I forget how heavy those suckers are.

You could have lowered a hundred tops and still have trouble with a top that is over 300 pounds. I will never lower a top that needs more then a wrap and half on a porty. You can go big with tip ties and balance points but if a top needs to be lowered I always go small and go home.

Big ol dead oak today, SURE glad we had the bucket with us, it was climbable but i wouldnt been happy about it. Wires on 3 sides house and pretty concrete driveway on the other. Had her down bout 2:30 wood stayed so i left 2 guys there to cut it up and me and the others went an pruned a plum tree. daughter graduated from preschool today so i got off early to go to that, boy that makes me feel old!

One reason the newbies can't seem to walk straight is that there is just to much to fathom. There really is.

Just last week me and my newbie were standing around watching a bunch of Mexicans trying remove yew stumps with an 80 dollar hand saw. That's Japanese Steel!
We watched them hack at it for awhile, I mentioned to my newbie about all the mud caked up in the saw teeth, about how that sort of thing don't fly and said " I have the same saw, if you do that to it I will use it on you". I thought everything was square on that.

Until today. I said to my newbie, " Newbie, chop out that little root there." The freshly sharpened axe lay within 5 feet on the little root and I thought it would be handled accordingly.

I turned my back for a second and my newbie had walked all the way over to the tool truck and snagged my glistening gleaming Zubat and was going subterranean with it on this dam little root!

Silly newbies. I told him that being yelled at is part of the job... and that we were going up to finish what the Mexicans couldn't next week.

Last edited:
Yo MDS did you get any work or damage from the tornados yesterday?

Straightened out the BS with the crane company today, dropped off some saws at the shop to get fixed, went on 2 estimates. Picked up 4 arborvitae at the nursery for 1 client, and another one gave me and the boys a heart attack. Looks like I will be going back to NYC next week to pick up another antique.

And then:

Down the road there has been a small dead norway , the HO had a ladder up on it over the holiday weekend. I saw some bad cuts, the few limbs that had been cut were still laying in the driveway and the ladder was just taken down today. The tree still stands but I am not sure about the HO. I will find out.
The tree would be a few hundred plus a little for the stump, its been dead for awhile. He was cutting long outstretched branches with just a top cut and probably a dull saw. It didn't look good.

Once or twice I have been contracted to finish a tree that has put the HO in a body cast. I hope this is not the case again.

Last edited:
booked this one today, kinda felt bad for the guy tho, power company won't take it down for him cuz it leans twards his house. but yet they are still going to charge him to take the line down so i can take it out! bad thing is it has a fence grown into it from the base all the way up six foot. anybody else ran into this? any solutions?

booked this one today, kinda felt bad for the guy tho, power company won't take it down for him cuz it leans twards his house. but yet they are still going to charge him to take the line down so i can take it out! bad thing is it has a fence grown into it from the base all the way up six foot. anybody else ran into this? any solutions?

Looks like a fun one! As for the fence in the tree, an I am just tossn this out there, and I am assuming you need to cut it up to move it. I did a large maple last year that had a chain link fence grown into it. I was able to get the log on the ground and was havn a hard time getting it cut up. Not sure WTH i was thinking when I bid the job although I do remember putting a huge price on it and figured "for that much cash I will just figure it out"...well...I got the job so there I was scrathn my head sayin to myself...mmaannnnn this sucks. Anyway, my buddy shows up with his 7015 stumper to do the stumps. He looks my situation over and says "stand back and make sure your glasses are on!" He then takes his stumper and grinds out the whole area on the one side of the log with the chain link fencing grow into it. He just chipped away at it until there was no more metal left in the log. I then just cut up the rest of it. After he did that he blasted out the two big stumps like it was nothin. He didnt hurt a darn thing on his grinder and I was one happy tree guy. I gave him an extra 50 and he was happy to!

Looks like a fun one! As for the fence in the tree, an I am just tossn this out there, and I am assuming you need to cut it up to move it. I did a large maple last year that had a chain link fence grown into it. I was able to get the log on the ground and was havn a hard time getting it cut up. Not sure WTH i was thinking when I bid the job although I do remember putting a huge price on it and figured "for that much cash I will just figure it out"...well...I got the job so there I was scrathn my head sayin to myself...mmaannnnn this sucks. Anyway, my buddy shows up with his 7015 stumper to do the stumps. He looks my situation over and says "stand back and make sure your glasses are on!" He then takes his stumper and grinds out the whole area on the one side of the log with the chain link fencing grow into it. He just chipped away at it until there was no more metal left in the log. I then just cut up the rest of it. After he did that he blasted out the two big stumps like it was nothin. He didnt hurt a darn thing on his grinder and I was one happy tree guy. I gave him an extra 50 and he was happy to!

Chain link vs chain saw.

ya that is BS it shouldnt cost him any money for a service drop hes doin the power company a favor because the utility wont have to trim it any more what power company is it. we contract for pacific power and they dont charge for service drops for tree removals even if it is a regular tree servive doin the removal but the reason they wont take it down for him is because it wont take out the primary wire which = their money maker but a service only feeds one house no big deal to them f'ed up but i guarantee if that primary was in front of his house and leaning at it there would be no ?'s asked about removing it iv seen it alot p.s get a carbide chain spendy bastards tho

Last edited:

I generally go to ground level even with a 6' stump and cut from the opposite side of the fencing. When I get to the fence I use my schit saw/chain combo and cut til it can be pushed over. Then I put the stump in the bushes somewhere. Dingo will handle most 6' sections.

Nice avi! Stihl rules :rock:

Any idea where I can get an AV mount for my 090?

ya that is BS it shouldnt cost him any money for a service drop hes doin the power company a favor because the utility wont have to trim it any more what power company is it. we contract for pacific power and they dont charge for service drops for tree removals even if it is a regular tree servive doin the removal but the reason they wont take it down for him is because it wont take out the primary wire which = their money maker but a service only feeds one house no big deal to them f'ed up but i guarantee if that primary was in front of his house and leaning at it there would be no ?'s asked about removing it iv seen it alot

yeah, we get free wire drops too but they not too good bout puttin em back up and sometimes if busy they wait til next dayl.

customers hatin on you and not the lektrik boys.:dizzy:

I generally go to ground level even with a 6' stump and cut from the opposite side of the fencing. When I get to the fence I use my schit saw/chain combo and cut til it can be pushed over. Then I put the stump in the bushes somewhere. Dingo will handle most 6' sections.

Nice avi! Stihl rules :rock:

Any idea where I can get an AV mount for my 090?

Its puts the stump in the bushes. Yeah, I know that.:msp_thumbsup:

Back